• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

So neogaf has been in full melt-down mode. I'm honestly not surprised, the amount of sensitivity over there to anything is outstanding, and they really have some scumbags that hang out there so that was a powder keg waiting to detonate.

For those who don't know, the owner was accused of harassment/assault by a former friend so a lot of mods quit. Once the mods quit, the forum became the wild west with all sorts of crazy threads and posts, people really pushing it since they knew the babysitters weren't home, so the forum went offline starting Thursday I believe and just went back up yesterday with no off-topic section.

#2 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,043 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

Just trash human beings all the way around on this one.

#3 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Pretty hilarious the knee-jerk reaction is to shut down the OT like that's going to be the silver bullet that makes his problem goes away.

Very annoying to me because there was a lot of good resources there, like the Retirement/401k/Investment thread and the home buying OT. I also lurked in the board game OT and some other ones.

Oh well, not going to miss the site outside of the OT threads which were typically second only to Reddit/wikis for information about certain topics.

#4 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Just curious, what did they generally recommend in the retirement/401k/investment thread? Any particular strategy or types of funds that stood out?

#5 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Just curious, what did they generally recommend in the retirement/401k/investment thread? Any particular strategy or types of funds that stood out?

Reddit has a decent community for this as well.

That said, it's hilarious that he thinks nuking the OT was the solution here. It's also crazy to consider the fact that the once left leaning NeoGAF, a place that embraced the discussion about the culture and implications of video games as an art form, now is squashing all discussion outside of "yeah the shootbang feels real good." There was a great thread mocking this new policy that brought up the racial implications of a game like Bioshock: Infinite, a story with some heavy handed political themes that ended the post with, "acceptable answers to this question are things like 'handcannon' and 'I like the way the dudes exploded when I shoot them!'."

It's such a disingenuous crock of shit to claim that we just need to 'return to talking about video games' like the experiences exist in some sort of vacuum. Ironically this conversation mirrors the larger, national conversation around the NFL where idiots struggle to grasp the fact that the dudes from their Fantasy League do other things besides catch a ball for a living. Both issues despite being over different forms of a game have the exact same solution: politics are everywhere, stop being a fucking baby.

#6 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

An entire community/website burning itself to the ground because of the poor choices of one elf-looking shitlord is just annoying, dumb, and pathetic. As Drew said, GAF was a really great resource for a lot of different things, and that's what I will miss the most.

On the plus side, ResetEra (the successor forum) is pretty good so far. Hopefully it will prove to be as useful as GAF was.

#7 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:11 PM

Do I need to apply to get in to that?

#8 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

https://www.resetera.com/

Will require a paid email address to register. As far as I know, registration is not fully open yet and I have no idea when that will be.

#9 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:53 AM

According to the grapevine, registration should open for everyone before next week. We'll see - the launch has been very smooth so far though. I think there are a handful of major invite waves left and then the doors will be opened for everyone.

Buy low cost index funds through a major broker - you want the lowest cost fund you can find in terms of expense ratios. There's a stellar podcast by Freakonomics that covers the topic well, and features an interview with Jack Bogel (among others) in an attempt to explain the philosophy.

Never pay for an investment adviser (a financial adviser is OK if you are juggling a lot of assets like multiple rental properties, but I would typically say it's probably worth it to hire a management company and a tax guy instead - be wary of investment advice no matter where it comes from, most good information is available online for free).

I have dumped all of my non-pension savings into cascading Roth IRA, 403b, and a taxable Vanguard account - all purchase VANG INST INDEX PLUS (a whole-market index) with 100% of my contributions and re-invest the earnings into the shares of the same fund. My YoY RoI is sitting at close to 19%...

#10 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

Buy low cost index funds through a major broker - you want the lowest cost fund you can find in terms of expense ratios. There's a stellar podcast by Freakonomics that covers the topic well, and features an interview with Jack Bogel (among others) in an attempt to explain the philosophy.

Never pay for an investment adviser (a financial adviser is OK if you are juggling a lot of assets like multiple rental properties, but I would typically say it's probably worth it to hire a management company and a tax guy instead - be wary of investment advice no matter where it comes from, most good information is available online for free).

I have dumped all of my non-pension savings into cascading Roth IRA, 403b, and a taxable Vanguard account - all purchase VANG INST INDEX PLUS (a whole-market index) with 100% of my contributions and re-invest the earnings into the shares of the same fund. My YoY RoI is sitting at close to 19%...

LOL, this is exactly what I do. I have index funds only, and I use Vanguard just like you because they're the legit and very low fee. I do 50% whole-market domestic, 40% international, and 10% in the Vanguard bond index. I'll raise bonds as I get older. I get pitched by my bank JP Morgan/Chase all the time for financial services, I tell them I use low-cost index funds and they look at me like I'm stupid or crazy, so I just proceed to tell them I follow Warren Buffet's advice on this who happens to be the world's best investor. 

#11 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

I was using Fidelity before and their fees were insane - an "account maintenance" fee that they levied every three months that I never would have noticed had I not kept close tabs on my account is just one example. Dropped them and moved everything to Vanguard, no fees whatsoever outside of the day trading fee (which you really shouldn't be doing anyway) and the expense ratios on the funds themselves. They waive your yearly fee if you go for paperless statements which is what I prefer anyway. It's amazing.

Edited by Drew, 26 October 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#12 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:48 PM

LOL, this is exactly what I do. I have index funds only, and I use Vanguard just like you because they're the legit and very low fee. I do 50% whole-market domestic, 40% international, and 10% in the Vanguard bond index. I'll raise bonds as I get older. I get pitched by my bank JP Morgan/Chase all the time for financial services, I tell them I use low-cost index funds and they look at me like I'm stupid or crazy, so I just proceed to tell them I follow Warren Buffet's advice on this who happens to be the world's best investor. 

Shout out to Warren B. Fun fact: That dude keeps what has got to be the world's worst hamburger joint in business because he loves going there and it's extra hilarious that rich people go there when in Omaha for Berkshire Hathaway Days because it's what Buffett does.

Edited by Nightshade, 26 October 2017 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq