• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Reach is the most polished and best Halo game Bungie has ever put out. Overall it's much easier to do what you want and the experience is polished. There are a few things that drive me nuts though.

I thought I was crazy at first, but this always stands out when I'm watching cutscenes.

I hate how i can't press 1 button (Y in H3) to go to my FL when I'm not in the pregame lobby.

There seems to be no order to the Active Roster, it's like everyone is listed there randomly. In H3 at least you could do alpha order with the 360 guide. Now you have to do several button presses to do the same thing.

Major failure to not make it a single button press to invite someone. I don't know what Bungie was thinking on this one. Yes I can press X to cue join someone, but that's only if they have an open party. Most of the time now, I have to select each person's name I want to invite and then press down and send invite.

#2 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

The ghosting in cutscenes is really annoying and gives me a headache. I've also been seeing a lot of frame rate drops and odd music behavior while playing campaign, though I've been reading on gaf this might because of installing the game to the hard drive for some reason. Also, lag can still get pretty bad during campaign/firefight co-op. It'd be a really awesome feature if players can determine who hosts the game, instead of the game hopping from host to host throughout the mission. When I was playing with Niterider and TJ Nutter, the host migrated from one person to another constantly.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#3 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Another thing. WTF, my Triplicate emblem isn't in the game. Also gone are: the Hawk, Subnova, Superintendent, and the Marathon emblem.

Here is what David Candland has to say:

Budget. Lots of bitmaps dedicated to emblems means fewer bitmaps dedicated to 3D textures in the level cache. I ditched the least popular emblems and some other ones that we wanted to avoid any I.P issues with.

And he confirmed you can't unlock any more emblems :(

#4 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

You can't create a custom gametype and force all Spartans or all Elites.

The option isn't exposed. The setup for it is complicated and error-prone. But you can always save a variant from matchmaking that has the settings you want, and then customize that. All the current matchmaking variants enforce Spartans only (with the obvious exceptions).

At least you can save a matchmaking variant and customize, but that's sloppy.

#5 drossello

drossello
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

I dont know if you guys get this as well. I bought a 46 inch tv (yeah, damn) to play this thing, and ingame certain things (rocks , trees, grass) from afar reduce themselves to little amount of pixels, then when i aproach they appear normally. is this called frame rate problem? Does this happen to any tvs? God I hate it. and yah, what the hell with the ghost thing scenes.

#6 drossello

drossello
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

Also...i tried to play with auto motion plsu thing...its weird, but it slows your character a lot. I just turn that thing off, but still it lloks a little bit better.

#7 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

Also, lag can still get pretty bad during campaign/firefight co-op. It'd be a really awesome feature if players can determine who hosts the game, instead of the game hopping from host to host throughout the mission. When I was playing with Niterider and TJ Nutter, the host migrated from one person to another constantly.

I think a lot of that had to do with my connection. I did a router firmware update, so I'll need to nab host sometime and see if that was the issue.

I dont know if you guys get this as well. I bought a 46 inch tv (yeah, damn) to play this thing, and ingame certain things (rocks , trees, grass) from afar reduce themselves to little amount of pixels, then when i aproach they appear normally. is this called frame rate problem? Does this happen to any tvs? God I hate it. and yah, what the hell with the ghost thing scenes.

Distance texture pop-in, perhaps? If that's what you're talking about, it has nothing to do with your TV. This is actually very common in games with large environment; the game will reduce the texture quality at a certain distance to save system resources, and I noticed it quite often in campaign and playing around on Forge World.

This is a common problem in PC Bad Company 2 on medium settings and is ridiculous on low. It's quite humorous to look up at a tree that's half 2-d and half 3-d at 30 ft.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#8 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

The framerate and lag.

#9 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

It's called draw distance, and if you hate it in Reach you must have really hated it in Halo 3 because its 1000x better now.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#10 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

I think he might be talking about dithering. I noticed it a couple of times during the game, dunno what would be causing it but yeah, it was pretty pronounced at times.

#11 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,949 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

Another thing. WTF, my Triplicate emblem isn't in the game. Also gone are: the Hawk, Subnova, Superintendent, and the Marathon emblem.

Here is what David Candland has to say:

And he confirmed you can't unlock any more emblems :(

That's pretty rich, seeing as there's over a gigabyte of free space left on the disc.

As for the problems I'm having, mainly framerate related.

Some spots in campaign get really bad, some problems in Firefight when multiple Fuel Rods get involved, and on some Forge World maps.

My single largest issue with the game is Big Team Split Up. Seriously, let us "lock" our party or something. I'm sick and fucking tired of getting split up in Big Team and Invasion games.

Shit fucking sucks, Bungie. How hard could this be to fix?

#12 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:12 AM

My single largest issue with the game is Big Team Split Up. Seriously, let us "lock" our party or something. I'm sick and fucking tired of getting split up in Big Team and Invasion games.

QFMFT!

#13 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

Out of curiosity, have those with framerate issues got the game installed? Just wondering because I've installed the game and only really noticed slowdown in the opening cutscene.

#14 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,033 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

Well, they tried to "fix" it in Halo 3. Their solution was less than elegant, though. If you went into a playlist with a full team, it would require another full team before a game started. Because, in their eyes, a team used to playing together would always destroy a bunch of randos, thereby throwing their "rankings" out of whack. That's why it would take certain playlists a lot longer to find any matches after a bit. So, their solution this go around seems to be to if it's a party of 8, find a party of at least 4 - 6, then split up everybody. They need to remove party restrictions altogether. Especially since there aren't any ranks anymore. All playlists are equivalent to H3's social matches.

#15 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

It's called draw distance, and if you hate it in Reach you must have really hated it in Halo 3 because its 1000x better now.

That's the term I was looking for, but Reach isn't the biggest sinner in this regard. Here's Bad Company 2 on low texture settings. I understand it's low, but seriously...

High Detail Tree
Half and Half Tree
Low Detail Tree
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#16 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

One problem I have that hasn't been mentioned is the campaign audio. I have a really hard time understanding the in-game chatter between the spartans. I wish having subtitles on would work beyond just the cut scenes but unfortunately it doesn't. Kat is definitely the hardest to understand.

#17 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Kat is definitely the hardest to understand.

Women man, not much you can do.

#18 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

One problem I have that hasn't been mentioned is the campaign audio. I have a really hard time understanding the in-game chatter between the spartans. I wish having subtitles on would work beyond just the cut scenes but unfortunately it doesn't.

Kat is definitely the hardest to understand.

I had the same issue on my first play-through. So much of the story is also told as it happen so it's frustrating.

#19 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

Tanks in big team.

#20 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

When I die and drop a weapon it disappears in ten seconds. The firefight voices need to be louder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq