Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Alright yeah, so this is the Halo 3 Legendary Complete thread for all people who've completed the game on Legendary. This isn't for cooperative play because my 1-year old son could finish on coop Legendary. This is for the players who complete the game on Legendary by themselves.

I'll do the honors, as I just completed the game on Legendary by myself today. Here's the pudding-ish proof. Who's next!

#2 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:56 AM

Playing Cortana on Legendary isn't worth it.

#3 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

Playing Cortana on Legendary isn't worth it.

Yep. I highly doubt I'll ever do that one by myself on Legendary, or ever again. So I'll never really be part of this ol' club.

#4 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

I'll be there before long.

#5 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

Sorry, but there's a few places that I've tried and decided that it just isn't worth it (Cortana mainly). Otherwise, I'd be happy to.

#6 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

Ironically, 'Cortana' and 'Halo' took me the least amount of time. I spent maybe 30-45 minutes on each and they're not too difficult if you move fast and know where you're going. The most difficult level for me was 'Tsavo Highway.' I was ripping through it on a Hog and then a Chopper; when I got to the break in the highway and had to make it by foot, I ran out of 'good ammo' (i.e. BR/Carbine) and was unable to fend off the unassailable assault by the third or fourth dropship. With about three dozen enemies present at that point in the section, including a pair of Chieftains with fuel-rod cannons, I finally made the executive decision to rush the Wraith, BR the turret and sniper on the tower while dodging mortars and fuel-rod bafoonery from behind. After about an hour of this trial and error process, I got past that portion and lit up the rest of the map. It's funny how Bungie was right about playing differently every time. Last night, Blaze joined me in getting Cowbell and we kind of fell into coop'ing through 'The Covenant,' which is easily the most fun mission ever created. We went off to clean up Johnson's inefficiency on the third tower and he wanted the 'laser a Banshee' achievement, so he hung onto my Hornet. He missed the shot, but I dropped him on the island across from the second tower to mop up the Brutes on it. When the area was cleared a Banshee began dropping low, trying to fuel-rod him. After a few minutes of pinning and forcing him into down, Blaze grabbed the Banshee, boarded it and played through the remainder of the dogfight with it. This is sort of like Legendary was for me. You have to play every scenario so differently than you would on Normal and Heroic or anything with coop. You conserve ammo and try new weapons you don't care for. You rely on missing encounters sometimes and handling encounters differently other. You use the friendly AI in ways which you never really thnk of on the lesser difficulties. It's pretty fascinating.

#7 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

This is sort of like Legendary was for me. You have to play every scenario so differently than you would on Normal and Heroic or anything with coop. You conserve ammo and try new weapons you don't care for. You rely on missing encounters sometimes and handling encounters differently other. You use the friendly AI in ways which you never really thnk of on the lesser difficulties. It's pretty fascinating.

See also: Halo 1.

I'm working my way through, Voc - I'll make a legitimate post here soon... Tsavo Highway, by the way, is so Halo 1, and I love it.

Edited by Syracuse022, 28 September 2007 - 05:54 PM.

#8 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

I just beat the game on Heroic. Yeah, I'm a laggard, but I've also got two kids and bronchitis, so cut me some slack.

And having done that, I'm going back for Legendary - solo. Which means everyone asking me to play co-op will be met with silence for another week or so while I chip my way through it again.

Just played through the first two checkpoints of Sierra 117 on Legendary - yeah. Good stuff.

#9 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

Cortana is becoming seriously not worth it. Is there ANY way to kill those turret Flood? There's a difference between a mediocre level for exposition's sake and completely ruining a game's whole momentum. Bungie didn't tiptoe this line. Oh no. They jumped straight off the deep end...

#10 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:23 PM

Cortana is becoming seriously not worth it. Is there ANY way to kill those turret Flood?

There's a difference between a mediocre level for exposition's sake and completely ruining a game's whole momentum. Bungie didn't tiptoe this line. Oh no. They jumped straight off the deep end...

It's hard to say which of the levels in the game were my favorite, but Cortana was in the top half, with The Ark, The Covenant and The Storm. I'd never had to fall back so often, and scour for weapons so extensively, before. The entire level was unrelentingly intense and creepy - one of the most memorable single missions I've had in a LONG time. That one level was scarier than all of Bioshock combined.

To your question - carry a sword and a range weapon, such as spikers or plasma rifles (which tear Flood apart in Halo 3). When possible, carry two of those. A burst of about one second will drop them, and they'll mutate into the big lumbering guys. That's what the sword is for. I had problems with them for a bit, after which I realized I just need to be methodical and keep my distance. I was so used to fighting Flood in close-quarters combat, I was going into those fights unprepared.

#11 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

I just beat the game on Heroic.

I had problems with them for a bit, after which I realized I just need to run like hell.

Fixed. You'll see soon enough, though. If I'm wrong, send me a Saved Film.

SECOND by the way, and with a newfound appreciation for the last level to boot, leaving just one busted level to avoid... The rest of this game is SO MONEY.

The final Warthog run didn't get its proper love the first time because Van and h00ters got ahead of me in their Warthog - the scripting was happening in response to their run not mine. That run by myself, though? Awesome. Similarly, even Guilty Spark wasn't that bad when I was handling the Laser. I have to say, this game is still better in most areas as a Single Player experience. The end of Cortana made me lol because the Arbiter (who was supposed to be in hero/best friend mode) mishandled his flamethrower and lit me on fire a few feet from the end of the level.

Anyways... damn. Hell of a job Bungie.

#12 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:35 AM

To secon drew, the spiker rapes the turret flood, even when they go into "shield mode" it would seem. And if you kill 'em proper, they won't morph into the big guy.

#13 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:46 AM

To secon drew, the spiker rapes the turret flood, even when they go into "shield mode" it would seem. And if you kill 'em proper, they won't morph into the big guy.

But that's where you get your big points during scoring.

'Cortana' is a pain, I'm not going to lie, but my first way through the game I was careful to play on Normal so I could enjoy the story fluidly rather than get pissed off or try to run my way through. The level's design and volume/arrangement of Flood forms actually gave me a brief headache by myself on this level, even on that low level...after playing it a dozen or so times, I've learned the layout a lot more and have a 'feel' for the general direction to and fro Cortana's location. My Legendary run-through took less time overall than my first Normal breach, interestingly enough.

I'd never had to fall back so often, and scour for weapons so extensively, before.

New to the whole metagame experience (I'd only played with Drew and Cocopjojo in one legit FFA before), I played yesterday with Luke and squicken through 'Sierra 117' and "Crow's Nest." He turned on Famine and it was a bitch. You think you've scavenged before, you have no idea what you're in for.

As usual, performed decent at the start, but as we went deeper into the mission, I get antsy and greedy and I hurl my body idiotically at the enemy lines while squicken and Luke stayed back. I'd get a kill or two and then die, essentially deteriorating any progress I made in my points. The 'charging forward without a care' attack works well on Heroic and even Legendary with good effect, but with Tough Luck (enemies dive from nades and splatters), Famine (less ammo on available on fallen weapons), Tilt (plasma weapons on shields / human weapons on flesh), Thunderstorm (field promotions for enemies) and Mythic (I think it was on, gives enemies more doubled HP) activated...you get eaten alive by doing this.

To be fair, Luke had been playing for like 6-8 months and squicken was consistently behind Luke's attack radius - I was consistently in front of it. I should have learned that strategy, but nah, let me provide them with a mobile weapon's cache as I persistently die.

I'm willing to turn these puppies on with some people from here and trudge through campaign on Legendary. It wasn't as horribly difficult with two others as I thought it would be, and if I can learn reservation and patience, it'll be easy to rack up serious points. By the way, the AR is bunk on Legendary with these skulls on (I think it's pretty bunk as a primary anyways, but that's just me). I'm learning the the plasma pistol and rifles become HUGE with Tilt activated, and there might even be a purpose for this M6G weapon after all.

#14 Oozer

Oozer
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

I'm willing to turn these puppies on with some people from here and trudge through campaign on Legendary. It wasn't as horribly difficult with two others as I thought it would be, and if I can learn reservation and patience, it'll be easy to rack up serious points. By the way, the AR is bunk on Legendary with these skulls on (I think it's pretty bunk as a primary anyways, but that's just me). I'm learning the the plasma pistol and rifles become HUGE with Tilt activated, and there might even be a purpose for this M6G weapon after all.

I've been looking to go through it on Legendary and I have experience playing with a bunch of skulls on (albeit on Easy lol).

And yeah, the AR is worthless with skulls on (and I agree with you, it's not much better with them off, at least on campaign). And the so called "n00b combo" is a life saver.

Edited by Oozer, 30 September 2007 - 11:29 AM.

#15 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

With 'Tilt' on, the term EMPH (Electromagnetic Pulse Headshot... maybe I should coin it as 'empf') is central to how the game is played. I'm playing with Cocopjojo right now...

Edit: We had five skulls active on Legendary from 'Floodgate' to 'Cortana' and got all of the achievements. On the 'Ark, we brought rape with us.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq