New Screens

#4 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

New gameplay video

LGC 2006: Crackdown Xbox Live Content Details Emerge

At the Leipzig Game Convention, Crackdown producer Peter Connelly told 1UP about the downloadable content plans for the Microsoft-published title. According to Connelly, Crackdown will see a demo before the game ships. After the game is released, in the first 30 days (as per Microsoft's preferences -- they talked about it at Gamefest), the first batch of downloadable content will be released. That batch is ten new playable agents. The agents will be playable in both single and online co-op modes and will be part of a single download (not divided up into multiple packs). Currently, there is no female model among them. Connelly explained that creating a female character would take a ton of work because of the redesigning of the animations and bone structure for a female character. Connolly isn't ruling out a female character as downloadable content at some point, though.

The next piece of downloadable content the Crackdown team plans on releasing is what they are tentatively calling a "replay editor." The replay editor will allow players to capture moments from their Crackdown experience. It might be a huge chained explosion they set up, or a recording of them juggling a semi truck with rockets from the game's rocket launcher.

Finally, Connelly expressed the team's desire to add another island to Crackdown's city. See, the game takes place across three islands (think full-fledged cities for these islands) and adding a fourth is something they'd love to do. The problems adding a fully-featured island to the game are numerous, though. Existing code in the game would have to allow for the rerouting and redirecting of traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular onto the new island -- but Connolly said the team coded Crackdown with this in mind. While the replay editor and 10 Agent downloads are very real, for now, adding a fourth island to Crackdown isn't nearly as much of a reality.

Representatives from Microsoft aren't talking about Crackdown's release date, which makes us speculate that the title may slip to Q1 2007. We asked if Crackdown would be priced in line ($49.99) with other Microsoft first party games not named Gears of War, but Microsoft isn't talking about Crackdown's pricing yet.

1up

#5 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

New Crackdown Hands-On

#6 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

Crackdown date locked down

Open-world Xbox 360 action game set for February 20, with a downloadable demo available next month.

The holidays aren't over quite yet, but given the current state of release lists, it's understandable that gamers would be planning their purchases for early 2007 already. One title that Microsoft hopes makes the cut is Crackdown, the free-roaming action game where players take control of superhuman crime-stoppers to clean up the streets of the fictional metropolis Pacific City.

Microsoft today gave gamers some guidance on when they could expect Crackdown to roll into retail by announcing an official release date of February 20. What's more, those on the fence about whether or not to pick up the game can download a free demo from the Xbox Live Marketplace starting January 18. The demo version of the game will include online cooperative play as well as single-player action.

Gamespot

#7 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

This will be my first purchase of 2007, barring the demo being ass.

#8 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

This will be my first purchase of 2007, barring the demo being ass.

That post has an LOL-Factor of 6.

Edited by Blaze, 21 December 2006 - 05:24 PM.

#9 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

6/10? Meh.

#10 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:47 AM

I'm just glad there's a city sprawling sandbox game that isn't based on played out Thug Life. That and you can throw cars. Bonus points right there.

#11 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

I'm just glad there's a city sprawling sandbox game that isn't based on played out Thug Life.

That and you can throw cars. Bonus points right there.

Even better, you can throw cars with your friend inside of them. That's some hot tits right there. Mmm hmm.

#12 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:58 AM

I'm not a fan of the HUD, but the gameplay has me sold. The frenetic action, the freedom, so sexy... This will probably be my first new game of the year (barring an XLA release of something like Castle Crashers). Lost Planet unfortunately lost my money with that shitty Multiplayer Demo. So boring and clunky... Hopefully crackdown is the yin to Capcom's snow level Yang.

#13 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:16 AM

I'm just glad there's a city sprawling sandbox game that isn't based on played out Thug Life.

My sentiments exactly.

Here's a few of my early visual beefs with the game.

I really don't like how everything has to glow. It seems that cars the player has locked-on to or can ride start showing a shimmering beam of blue light flow up them. I understand that the designers might want to differentiate between things you can and cannot interact with, but now it's just ditrsacting to me. I also don't like how when you kill bad dudes, floating blue orbs get sucked into your character. That just strikes me as really lame.

Otherwise, I like the comic book style. I love the wide open city. I love that you are an officer of the peace and not some gangsta thug prick.

Edited by Valor, 23 December 2006 - 03:18 AM.

#14 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

I stopped by the Gamestop next to my store during my break today, and one of the guys who knows I'm a Halo fan told me that he heard from a trustworthy person in the company that the H3 multiplayer demo would be on the Crackdown disc. I told him that the timing is off because it's supposed to come out in the Spring, but he swears by his source within his company and that he normally has very accurate information. Needless to say, the H3 beta on a disc would mean I definitely purchase Crackdown.

#15 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

I really don't like how everything has to glow. It seems that cars the player has locked-on to or can ride start showing a shimmering beam of blue light flow up them. I understand that the designers might want to differentiate between things you can and cannot interact with, but now it's just ditrsacting to me. I also don't like how when you kill bad dudes, floating blue orbs get sucked into your character. That just strikes me as really lame.

Yeah, same here. I think games (and gamers) are ready to evolve past some of the old cliche game mechanics. Picking up orbs/coins/candy/whatever may work for certain genre's game mechanics, but Crackdown isn't one of those.

One of the revolutionary and evolutionary things Halo did is make us take a different look on how life meters/health can work in a game. The gamer is freed to enjoy the awesome gameplay and doesn't need to focus their energy and time on hunting around for health packs. If the orbs are about charging some kind of superpower meter, why not just automatically absorb the juice? Why even have a meter? There are other ways to display things like that now. We have the horsepower, we can escape some of the fall-back mechanics.

But maybe they want to have more of a gamey feel to it. Who knows.

#16 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:07 PM

I stopped by the Gamestop next to my store during my break today, and one of the guys who knows I'm a Halo fan told me that he heard from a trustworthy person in the company that the H3 multiplayer demo would be on the Crackdown disc. I told him that the timing is off because it's supposed to come out in the Spring, but he swears by his source within his company and that he normally has very accurate information. Needless to say, the H3 beta on a disc would mean I definitely purchase Crackdown.

I came. However, let me remind you, Ivan, that the guys at GameStop work at GameStop for a reason, and it's not their overpowering intellect. It's cool that he said that, but those guys know a lot less about video games than they think they do. If this turns out to be true, though, I'll be so happy! (It will also mean that it's not necessarily a timed demo, as you can't very well delete a demo off of the Crackdown disc, though you can shut down Live connections... System Link with the beta? I'd be so fucking happy)

#17 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

There won't be a Halo 3 multiplayer demo on Crackdown's disc. When has any console game publisher ever done that? An online beta demo on a full game's disc? Wow, he really wants you to buy Crackdown...which, to be honest, you should, even if there is no Halo 3 multiplayer demo - which there won't be.

#18 Utopian Blaster

Utopian Blaster
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

I'll be getting this game too. look me up for co-op when the time permits.

Edited by Utopian Blaster, 24 December 2006 - 02:10 PM.

#19 Utopian Blaster

Utopian Blaster
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:12 PM

OMFG.

tell me about it.

#20 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

There won't be a Halo 3 multiplayer demo on Crackdown's disc. When has any console game publisher ever done that? An online beta demo on a full game's disc? Wow, he really wants you to buy Crackdown...which, to be honest, you should, even if there is no Halo 3 multiplayer demo - which there won't be.

Voc,

I see your points. However, if MS did do this, Crackdown's sales would probably triple and maybe quadruple. What an ingenious way to get the demo out there and make (literally) millions. I think this would be sheer marketing genius. I will probably not buy Crackdown. However, if my favorite green 1-ton killing machine was tucked away in there somehow, I'd probably get it on day 1. Perhaps the entire demo wouldn't be on the disk. Perhaps it would just be an access code or something along those lines that allowed you to access the beta over XBL.

At the end of the day, I doubt this will happen, as you do. If this was the case, why have an online registration?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq