229 replies to this topic

#41 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

I like "Atlas" a lot so far.

I'm a little bit more wary. As we're being brought into the city and we're overhearing the conversations over the short-wave, it sounds to me like he's using that guy a lot like he uses the player once the first guy gets cut open. In other words, I'm questioning his motives, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're not as innocuous as our early interactions lead us to believe. Even if he does end up just being the kind voice over the radio (which I doubt), I have to agree that the radio seems like a great way to do things, and the diaries are going to be awesome to find and listen to.

Also, if you hit back in game, you can get more information about the research aspect. It's hilarious that I mentioned Pokemon Snap because that seems to be exactly how the 'scoring' works. In other words, factors like:
- centering
- number of enemies in the shot
- actions (hehe, except throwing apples at these guys won't do very much)
- distance
- uniqueness (i.e. if you just keep shooting the same one, it won't help you nearly as much)
- whether the enemy is alive
are all considered when scoring research photographs.

#42 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

The street date has been borked. People on GAF seemed to have luck finding copies at Toys R Us. If you're that desperate, Geoffrey will hook you up.

#43 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

Whoa

Now, just imagine what will happen when Halo 3 (inevitably) hits a similar situation... I'm going to go out in search of this bad boy tomorrow. Wish me luck. Borked is a funny word.

Edited by Syracuse022, 14 August 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#44 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

This is what I get for ordering it over the internet. =( I'm calling Gamestop tomorrow and seeing if they'll mail it to me early. Please, God, help me out on this.

#45 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

Both Game Informer reviewers give it '10'

While delivering a level of intrigue you rarely see in games, its most captivating element is its gameplay ? which I can easily say delivers the most rewarding and adrenaline-filled experience I have ever had with an FPS.

It?s ingenious, enthralling, and a masterpiece of the most epic proportions. So without further delay, would you kindly enter Rapture so that you too can experience the best that video games have to offer?

#46 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

A few thoughts from Penny Arcade

It is my intention to secure two copies of the game, entire - one Collectors' edition, and one exclusively to shove up Roger Ebert's ass. If Bioshock isn't "art," then art is the poorer for it.

#47 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

Another 10/10 from Euro Gamer

My favorite part:

And with that out of the way, all that remains is to insist that anyone with a PC or a 360 goes out and buys this wonderful game on the 24th of August (or sooner if you happen to live near the street date-breaking US retailers), and send a message to the entire games industry that this is the kind of game that people want. BioShock is the ultimate rarity: not only does it live up to its lofty promise, but exceeds it through simple, old fashioned talent and imagination - not to mention verve, style,class, wit, and sheer bloody-minded ambition. It takes the tired, worn-out FPS genre by the scruff of the neck, reinvents and bend it out of shape in such a breathtaking fashion that it's going to take something very special to top this in the months and years ahead. For a game to be so outstanding in one department is one thing - to manage to tick every single box from graphics to audio to gameplay depth to atmosphere and innovation is pretty much unprecedented. Seriously - if you don't find something to love about BioShock, we'd recommend a trip to the nearest doctor to check if your heart's still beating.

#48 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

Wow, this has to be on track to be one of the very highest rated games of all time, if not the highest.

#49 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

Even with the game almost entirely lime green. It's one of the best looking games I have seen. I really enjoy it.

#50 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

The last time I read reviews this good it was for a game named Halo: Combat Evolved.

#51 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

The last time I read reviews this good it was for a game named Halo: Combat Evolved.

Never heard of it. Is it a racing game?

#52 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

No, that was Car Combat Evolved, silly. Side note: I preordered this thing as an afterthought a month ago. Turns out it'll probably be the game I play more than anything not Halo 3. System Shock 1 & 2, XBLA, anyone?

#53 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

EGM: 10/10

#54 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

oxm uk: 10/10 pc gamer uk: 95/100 pc zone: 96/100 eurogamer: 10/10 gamer.tv: 5/5 game informer: 10/10 ap magazine: 5/5 computers & video games: 9.5/10 gamepro: 10/10 1up: 10/10 xbox world: 94/100 gamespy: 5/5 console and gameworld: 99/100 ign: 9.7/10 gamesradar: 10/10 Holy...

#55 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

This game will score better than Halo 3. And pretty much every other game coming out this year. I can foresee it's awards already: "Best Single Player Game" "Best Narrative" "Best Presentation" "Best Action Adventure Game" possibly "Best Shooter" and a very likely candidate for Game of the Year. It's funny to think that before the demo came out, barely anyone gave a shit about this game.

#56 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

I disagree - a lot of people (myself included) were anxiously looking forward to this game, unsure whether it would live up to its promise. Well, it clearly has. That's what the demo changed - instead of an uncertainty, it's a known quantity now and people can fully get behind it. I can't wait to play this bad boy.

Edited by Syracuse022, 16 August 2007 - 03:51 PM.

#57 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

I disagree - a lot of people (myself included) were anxiously looking forward to this game, unsure whether it would live up to its promise. Well, it clearly has. That's what the demo changed - instead of an uncertainty, it's a known quantity now and people can fully get behind it. I can't wait to play this bad boy.

Ok, but if you look at GAF for two seconds you'll see what I'm talking about.

#58 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

Halo 3 is still GOTY for me, but eh. This game is excellent and deserves credit where due.

#59 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

Really? Because you've played neither of them...

#60 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Really? Because you've played neither of them...

Halo 3 Beta, Bioshock demo. I think I've played enough of each to figure where they'll be on my chart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq