• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

I don't think we have as many guys here that pay attention to basketball as we do to football, but I know there's at least couple of others besides myself. Besides, if the Jazz keep playing this hot, I'm going to need to express my feelings, or I'll implode. The Jazz just pwned the Lakers in a come-from-behind victory, making that their 8th win in a row, and they have the best record in the NBA at 12-1. It kind of makes me nervous that we keep getting behind early in the games, and then we have to pull some miracle sh*t out of our @$$ to win the games. We came back after being down from 21 to beat Sacramento, we came back against Phoenix and Toronto after being down 17 points in the 4th quarter. I guess it's good, but we're not going to be able to pull that off in the playoffs. ATM Carlos Boozer>Tim Duncan ATM Deron Williams>Chris Paul So, anything basketball related you guys want to talk about, post it here.

#2 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

Good idea, but I think after witnessing the football thread this year I want two threads. One for the NBA and one for NCAA BBall but instead of only making it for the year we'll just keep using each thread for year after year. I don't know what's going on with my Bulls, they suck right now. Deron Williams pwns. He was on the U of I team that went to the final a few years back.

#3 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

I have my doubts that the Jazz can succeed in the playoffs (who is their go-to guy when they absolutely need a score?). Anyway, as long as they can play defense (I dunno if they can or can't), then they do indeed have a chance in the playoffs. I've just seen too many Mavs teams in the last few years which were all offense and no defense. They did great in the regular season but when teams buckled down in the playoffs, it was a no go. BTW, what is wrong with the Suns? I can't believe they are playing so poorly.

#4 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, no joke. The sun are my pick for the Championship this year. They were really good last year, and now they have Amare Stoudamire back. I'm sure they'll come around like the Bulls. NBA Finals 2007: Bulls vs Suns I would go for the Bulls of course, but I think the Suns will get some revenge for '93.

#5 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

I have my doubts that the Jazz can succeed in the playoffs (who is their go-to guy when they absolutely need a score?).

Deron Williams has already hit 2 game winning shots this year, not to mention Boozer, who is a beat in the paint, and Derrick Fisher (you may remember him when he was with the Lakers when he killed the Spurs a few years back with the best shot I've ever seen to win a game, .2 seconds remaining)

#6 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

I used to care about NBA basketball during the Jordan/Magic/Bird/Dream Team era. Back then it was more classy.

#7 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

I used to care about NBA basketball during the Jordan/Magic/Bird/Dream Team era. Back then it was more classy.

Honestly I have a hard time getting into basketball myself, mainly because having so many games means that the regular season games for the most point mean very little. Not to mention that the scores are so close that a single bad call by the refs can ruin the entire game. I do get excited when the Mavs get deep in the playoffs, but other than that I wouldn't call myself a fan of the NBA or college basketball.

I think I've adopted Illinois as my favorite college basketball team, due to my dad loving them.

Edited by jesusphreak, 25 November 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#8 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

^^^I could never be an NBA fan if I was a Mavs fan after what happened to them last year in the finals. They got so hosed.

#9 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

Ahh, the Mavs. The only team in the NBA that I like. I like them because they suck. Even when they are winning, they still suck. When they're good? The suck. Don't they still hold the NBA record for consecutive losses? I remember when they ended that streak. It just didn't seem real...

#10 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

Oh look, yet another NBA brawl. Pro basketball is going down the tubes fast.

#11 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

I'm not going to make a whole thread for this, but I hope some of you got to watch game 1 of the NBA finals. In a series with this much hype (I'm not buying it, these aren't the Lakers and Celtics of the 80s), it would be surprising for the basketball to meet the expectations, but this first game was absolutely incredible. Two good teams with big players on both sides going at it nonstop with constant lead changes. There were several dramatic moments with the biggest coming in the third quarter when Paul Pierce scored 15 points despite having to leave mid-quarter with a knee injury. I was amazed at the defense the Celtics managed on Kobe, and it'll be interesting to see if Kobe will continue to trust his teammates even when they're not perfect, or if he'll revert to his former ball-hog self (that's my bet). This series is going to be epic, and I'm going to go with the Celtics in 7 games. I don't see anyway this series goes less than 6 games, just because there's so much money involved in a matchup with this kind of historical significance. If one team gains a large advantage, you'll begin to see some fishy officiating by games 4 and 5. So, if you haven't tuned in, and you've ever had a minor interest in basketball; this series is worth checking out.

#12 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

Great game. I couldn't believe the crowd when Paul Pierce came back out. This Laker fan at work is saying it was all for show.

#13 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

NBA is fixed. I can no longer fully support this league.

#14 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

NBA is fixed. I can no longer fully support this league.

I don't know about fixed, but I loathe how 90% of all the fouls called in this league are entirely subjective.

#15 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

To be honest, I've been seriously thinking about giving up on watching sports until something drastic changes. Between steroids, spygate, the NBA referee last year that was linked to the mafia, etc. I've become pretty disenfranchised the last couple of years. I just read this article about a steroid dealer that was supposedly going to give up some big names to the NFL as well as let the league know specific ways that players have been getting around the drug testing- and now the guy and his girlfriend are dead, and it sounds a lot like a hit. Steroids have ruined sports; I knew kids in high school that were taking steroids just to make the high school team, so for me to believe that professional athletes, who's livelihood is dependent on their speed, size, and strength are not doping on something is impossible to imagine. Aside from steroids, there are other issues- the major sports leagues run un-checked to a large degree. They're all monopolies and they all wield an insane amount of power. I've heard that they estimate sports gambling each year to be at about $250 billion. That's a lot of money, and how is the average fan to know that everything you see going on the field/court is an honest display? Even in the NBA, you'll notice they'll use certain referees in certain situations for playoff games. If the NBA wants to see the home team win, they send Bennett Salvatore. This year, I found it amazing when the NBA sent Joey Crawford to ref Spurs/Lakers games that were absolutely crucial for the Spurs to win if they wanted to continue the series. If you don't remember/haven't heard; Joey Crawford was suspended for the rest of the year and did not officiate in the playoffs because of an altercation he had with Tim Duncan on the sidelines. So, why would the NBA send a Spurs hating referee to two critical games in that series? There's so many examples of stuff like that going on in every league (not to mention boxing/MMA). Let's not forget the refereeing in Super Bowl XL (Seahawks/Steelers) or the game before that when the referees tried to hand the game to the Indianapolis Colt (Troy Polamalu interception) or the Heat/Mavericks Finals. I'd like to believe that these problems are caused by imperfect people making honest mistakes; I really would. That's what I've believed since I started watching sports when I was still in diapers, but it's hard to look at it that way with all that goes on.

Edited by Vanwadilion, 06 June 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#16 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:41 AM

I just read this article about a steroid dealer that was supposedly going to give up some big names to the NFL as well as let the league know specific ways that players have been getting around the drug testing- and now the guy and his girlfriend are dead, and it sounds a lot like a hit.

Neighbors who were still gathered at the scene about 12 hours after officers arrived said they became aware of Jacobs through television news reports, but didn't know him well. They said they didn't see any suspicious activity or hear any gunshots.

Silencer, perhaps? It's definitely an assassination.

That's unnerving to me. I hadn't realized the major leagues had gone sour like this, regarding the cheap referee maneuvering and mafia connections. It's not totally surprising, though... I just didn't know it happened so much. I thought the leagues would have a little more responsibility than that, but since they are monopolies, I guess they don't care and they do what they want.

I thought all games were light-hearted fun-for-the-family adventures like in the movies :ohmy:
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#17 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:32 AM

Could have been from a distance, and you can make ghetto silencers with water bottles.

#18 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

I accidentally wrote disenfranchised when I meant disenchanted in that paragraph, sorry, I'm a putz. Sports has not disenfranchised me . . . yet.

#19 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

I accidentally wrote disenfranchised when I meant disenchanted in that paragraph, sorry, I'm a putz. Sports has not disenfranchised me . . . yet.

Posted Image

Sports never disenfranciated nobody. Capiche?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq