266 replies to this topic

#1 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

Taken from PSP Updates:

PS3 Features Revealed, PSP Well Cared

Jak_The_Man, An active member from US PlayStation forums, has posted a short article after reading the latest PlayStation Magazine. The information contained is very interesting...

• PS3 will have online service that goes beyond Xbox live

• PS3 will be a DVR (Digital Video Recorder)

• It will be able to connect with the PSP

• There are a lot of games being worked on for it right now in the US (a lot more then what people know about)

• The final PS3 dev kit is a lot faster than they thought (according to the developer)

• The PS3 will have an iTunes type service to let you download Hi-Def movies, music, etc

• The PS3 will take the media center functionality the 360 has even further

• PS3 will serve as a location free player for the PSP, means you can watch the DVD?s that you have in your PS3 on your PSP (from anywhere in the world), or any other video files you have on your ps3, though this is still only being planned.

• PS3 will be able to send its files straight to the PSP from anywhere in the world, and it can also control its DVR functionalities

• Firmware updates will add more functionality, much like with the PSP

• The Blu-ray Player functionality doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player because the Cell and RSX can take care of a lot of the stuff the PS3 will need to do to be able to read the disks

• Fall release date for PS3, no release date for online service, but expected to launch with the system
All these new features makes a PSP worth buying? together with a PS3. ;-)

As you can see, there are quite some strange icons we?ve never seen before in the photo of the PSP, a glimpse of the next firmware? This scan, as noted in the bottom left hand corner, discusses the CES (Consumer Electronics Show), held the beginning of last month. Sony definitely plans to keep updating their precious PSP and will surely use it to their advantage with the release of the PlayStation 3, interacting with it any way they seem fit. We are definitely interested to see what the future holds for the powerful handheld, and only hope that Sony will not quash any ability to play homebrew on a product we payed a good amount of money to do with as we please.

Posted Image

Heyyy, looks like my new PSP will have a couple of cool new features

#2 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

I wonder if Mr. Gates just shat.

#3 soapofdurden

soapofdurden

Can use the magnum.

• 257 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

Souds good. But I'll believe it when I see it. Sony is notorious for bullshit.
Gamertag: soapofdurden
soapofdurden@yahoo.com
AIM: soapofdurden101

#4 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

a lot of that sounds amazing, but for now I'm with Soap on this. I'll definitely be getting a ps3 and psp if all that turns out.

#5 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image

#6 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:29 AM

A way to acces content on your PS3 from your PSP sounds like a monthly service. I don't buy half that until I see it.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#7 Guest_Niterider04_*

Guest_Niterider04_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:18 AM

Nice one, Fallen!

#8 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:34 AM

Exclusive: PS3 HUB; September Launch

Next Generation can reveal that Sony is planning to launch an online games service, largely modelled on Xbox Live, currently called PlayStation HUB. We also understand Sony is aiming for a September launch for PlayStation 3 in Japan and North America.

According to well-placed industry sources, PlayStation HUB will offer PlayStation 3 owners much the same services as Xbox Live, including chat, downloadable demos, independent games and online play. It's a departure from PlayStation 2's online strategy, widely regarded as vastly inferior to Microsoft's.

PlayStation HUB is being described to developers as a 'subscriber service' suggesting a monthly charge. We understand the service is being created by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, although this is unconfirmed.

September launch

Developer sources are also suggesting that PlayStation 3 is currently scheduled to launch in September. A launch games release schedule seen by our sources states a September launch. Although the schedule does not explicitly state a hardware launch date, nor a launch territory, we understand Japan and U.S will both see the machine in September.

Some in the industry have taken this as a lead to speculate that September 16 would be a launch date in Japan (a Saturday before a national holiday) followed by September 21 in the U.S. These dates are not confirmed.

A spokesperson for SCEA said the company does not comment on rumors. However, we understand Sony is preparing to announce HUB some time in the next few weeks.

Next Gen

#9 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:40 AM

Hmm, September seems a little early. I guess we'll see if it happens or not. Even if ps3 beats xbox 360, at least they'll always have the better name for their online service (playstation hub=lame).

#10 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

I've been hearing a few interesting rumors flying around the internet on the ps3. Here's a list of what I've heard: PS3 may block you from playing used/rented games. PS3 may have terrible overheating problems that have not yet been fixed. PS3 will probably be over 500 dollars Blu-ray discs will supposedly load much slower than the 360's DVD disc I don't have any sources, so you can pretty much regard this information as completly false, but you never know.

#11 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

PS3 will probably be over 500 dollars

Blu-ray discs will supposedly load much slower than the 360's DVD disc

Well, one of these two really have to be correct. Anything more the a single speed blu ray drive would probably cost way too much. A single speed drive isn't horribly slow though, probably an extra 5 to 10 seconds load. If streaming technology is as good as the unreal engine claims, hopefully loading times won't be very bad at all.

#12 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:17 AM

OPM: Big leap in PS3 coverage for April issue

ust got my newest issue of OPM (March 2006 - #102), and I skimmed it for any PS3 news that they mention. I found it interesting that the Editor-In-Chief, Tom Byron, said this in his "From Me To You" section:

Beyond the obvious "it'll be better than anything you've ever seen before," what we really know isn't a whole heckuva lot. We all want to know the ship date (sooner than you think!), the cost of the system (expensive at first), the cost of games ($70 dollars is not unrealistic), and the list of launch titles. And what about online play? What about HDTV needs? What about GTA4?!

In the coming months, beginning with the April issue, you'll see a big leap in OPM's PS3 coverage.

#13 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

I would love to hear an unbiased expert weigh the two systems. It's so gay hearing different reps say "we're better than them because...".
don't tread on me

• Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

If there are some people out there right now who are in the know when it comes to what the hell is going on -- we mean really going on -- with Sony, it's those investment firms. But even barring their research analysts getting all kinds of privvy information from direct executive input or connections on the supply side, it's kind of funny when one of these investment firms lets loose some juicy gossip. Like that Sony's albatross PlayStation 3 is going to cost them $800 per unit at launch (they list $900, but apparently Lynch financial analysts can't add their own totals). $800 per unit? Doesn't sound unreasonable considering what Sony's trying to get under cram under the hood of this thing; Lynch calls it an "expensive and difficult-to-manufacture product" because of the Cell processor and Blu-ray drive, which account for the lion's share of the backend parts costs (see above). Granted, most of this analysis comes off as estimation and prediction, but we'd like to make a prediction of our own: the PS3? She's like Kutaragi's Spruce Goose. Oh she'll fly alright, but at what cost?

P.S. It's worth a reminder that game companies always sell these things at a loss at launch, so we shouldn't have to worry too much about ponying up about a grand for a PS3. Eh, maybe only six or seven hundred.

http://www.engadget....rill-lynch-mob/

#15 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

I'm not really sure I believe that report. Firstly, I thought sony decided to take out the router type of features of the PS3 (ie the 2 output ethernet connections). Secondly, I thought they were planning to ship with a hard drive and that's listed as NA.

• Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

Nope, no hard drive was planned. Not sure about the ethernet stuff though.

#17 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

PlayStation 3 Delayed Until November

Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported today that the PlayStation 3 will launch in Japan this November at the earliest. According to "Nikkei", the console will be delayed six months because the copy protection technology for Blu-ray Disc has not yet been finalized.

The AACS Licensing Administrator, the group resposible for the spec that manages content stored on next generation optical disc formats such as HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, failed to deliver a final spec last year and has since then provided a temporary spec under interim licensing agreements.

#18 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:20 PM

Hah! Fuck YOU ignorant Playstation fanboys. Who was right? Who was right??

Erik Brudvig, IGN Guides: Can I just say - I called it! My prediction all along has been that Sony will launch the PS3 this fall/winter in Japan and then in the spring they will ship it to the USA. Sony already showed they could do that with the PSP which has achieved moderate success even up against the industry leader.

Anybody who thought the PS3 was really going to launch soon is delusional. Anybody who thinks that the PS3 is going to do a worldwide launch this November is also delusional. The demand for PS3s in Japan is going to be absolutely huge. My guess is Sony will have trouble just meeting that this winter, let alone trying to meet the needs of the United States. We all saw what happened when Microsoft, the company with a much smaller market share, tried to do a worldwide launch at the peak of the buying season. Even with their limited shipments to Japan, they still couldn't come close to satisfying consumers. We can play the optimist all we want, but Sony is going to run into a lot of the same manufacturing, shipping, and hardware defect problems that MS saw. Launching a product on this large of a scale, with brand new technologies, is a logistics nightmare.

In the long term, I don't expect this to mean much for the console wars. It seems the first couple of years of any console's life nowadays is more about how many units can be manufactured rather than how many can be sold. If there's one thing Sony has proven, it's that they know how to generate hype. A little bit longer of a waiting period won't kill the demand and send PS2 fans over to Microsoft, especially when there are still plenty of AAA titles coming out on the PS2 this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy was part of IGN's VS debate last week, and despite his trashy hair, his head was down to earth. He lost the debate, but who was right?

Edit #dos: What's with all the smack going to 360? They can't be compared to a console that doesn't exist yet. Your PS3 gets delayed and now everyone has to talk bad about Microsoft's short-handed mislaunch to balance the equation. A little rediculous.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#19 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:36 AM

Anybody who thought the PS3 was really going to launch soon is delusional. Anybody who thinks that the PS3 is going to do a worldwide launch this November is also delusional.

Not completely right. If it's been delayed for the copy protection, they must be leaving time for full scale production for the console. Also, I don't think they'd lie to shareholders in business meetings either:

PS3 Delayed, PSP Revolution Coming Soon!
Posted Mar 15, 2006 at 04:37AM by Jeff C.

Listed in: News, Featured Articles
On today's PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, Sony Computer Entertainment has announced an upcoming revolution for the PlayStation Portable. There will be tons of new features to be added to this divine object of glory in the upcoming months. A delay to the PS3 release has also been announced officially.

The users will be able to add new exciting functions, such as the Macromedia Flash Player, and will be expanding the current RSS channel function to support streaming and saving internet radio and videos, by updating the System Software of the PSP (the firmware) to the latest version.

New official accessories will also be released this autumn, such as the PSP camera "PSP-300" and the GPS receiver "PSP-290". The users will be able to experience the motion tracing function of the EyeToy, which was originally available on the PS2 by using the PSP camera. With the help of the GPS receiver, you will be able to make use of navigation software to guide your way all over the world.

Sony will be starting a new e-Distribution system for the PSP. You may start to wonder what it is, huh? Well, simply saying - to buy and download games into your memory stick, and run them directly from it!! Bye-bye, loading times... But wait, that is not all the fun you can get from the new service. There will also be an OFFICIAL PlayStation Emulator by Sony itself (PacManFan, don't cry)! Sony will be distributing modified PlayStation/PlayStation 2 games through this system.

Also, the "Ceramic White" PSP will be sold in a normal pack (PSP, 1 battery, power adapter) from April in Japan, at a price for 19,800 JPY (167.8 USD). North American and European users will be able to buy a "Base Model" pack (PSP, 1 battery, power adapter) of the PSP at $199USD/199 Euro. The actually dates are: Europe from March 22, North American from the end of March.

So much for the PSP side, now here is a bad news for the PS3 fans. Sony has officially announced that the release of the PS3 is postponed from this spring to early November of 2006. However, the release of the PS3 will be global - Asia, North America and Europe will be getting the release in the mean time. Sony will be able to offer 1 million consoles per month after the release, to meet the need of the users around the world.

http://pspupdates.qj...pg/49/aid/10840

There you have it, the first official news since E3(???). Early November, worldwide release. I suppose the good news is that games developers now have till November, considering that they've had quite a small amount of time with the dev kits really.

#20 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:31 AM

Kutaragi Superhypes PlayStation Network

At the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006 held today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi explained that the PS3 concept is "4D"

Kutaragi said that games have jumped from 2D to 3D and now with the PlayStation 3 games will be "live".

For some people, the fourth dimension is time. For others, the 4th dimension is a hypothetical universe with a spatial fourth dimension.

For Kutaragi, 4D is the new term to hype its PlayStation Network Platform.

PlayStation 3 to Require HDD for Games

At the Sony's PlayStation business briefing, Kutaragi revealed that a HDD will be required for games but it wasn't clear if the hard drive will ship with the units or not.

"The hardware was developed with the hard disk in mind," Kutaragi said at the event. "We view the hard drive to be mandatory for the PS3. Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

He continued saying that Sony hopes to avoid a situation where some units have the hard drive and others don't but then he said Sony "might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market".

So it's not clear if the PlayStation 3 will come with a hard drive or not but then how is it possible that all games require the hard drive if the company doesn't include one with every unit?

Posted Image

Sony Conference Summary

PS3:
- GLOBAL RELEASE NOVEMBER 11th
- 60GB HDD 2.5" with pre-installed Linux OS will be included?
- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- Final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
- Price will not be less than 50.000YEN (~$425USD)
- PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
- Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (by the end of March 07)
- basic" online service free, no details yet (could be XBLS for PS3)
- Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (akin to what the Xbox 360 does to Halo)
- The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology

PSP:
- videophone in autumn
- MinGol GPS
- Eyetoy
- Flash support with next update
- Mem.Stick boot support in autumn
- first-gen PS1 official emulator
- buy/download games from net
- 199 CORE PACK PSP being released in USA/Europe by end of March (March 22nd for Europe)
- 19,800 yen Ceramic White PSP CORE PACK from 15 April in Japan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq