Halo 2

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#81 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

I just played Halo in 3D... it was lovely. The reticule was 2D, which messed with my eyes pretty bad (I used the Blind skull to fix that) and there's some weird displacement issues when it comes to 2D effects, but I don't care because driving in a warthog, with the gunner firing behind you (right into the camera) is freaking badass. It's weird, some of the cutscenes almost seem designed for 3D (e.g. Sarge with his Rifle pointing at the screen, or... Sarge pointing a turret at the screen from the back of a pelican). I was gonna take some screenshots (you can cross your eyes to overlap the images and you get the 3D effect on a 2D monitor), but the fix I had to use to get it working on Windows 7 64bit caused my computer to constantly blue screen when booting my computer... so that's the end of me playing H2 in 3D, no matter how good it is, I'm not gonna balls up my Windows installation to play it.

#82 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

How?

#83 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Got a 120hz monitor and some 3D Vision glasses. The drivers make pretty much every DirectX game work in 3D, even the Wii emulator :biggrin: (but not the PS2 emulator for some reason, which is a shame). But yeah, alot of games don't work quite right, it's mainly bits of UI that get placed at the wrong depth, though I'm hoping some of that stuff can get fixed with drivers... Best games I've tried so far are Trine, Alien Swarm and Mirror's Edge. Gonna try Halo CE tomorrow... if I can find it.

#84 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Best games I've tried so far are Trine, Alien Swarm and Mirror's Edge.

You can play Mirror's Edge in 3D? Sounds like that'd be amazing.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#85 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Sounds like I would throw up

#86 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I've always been on the fence about the 3D monitors. They need to figure out a better glasses technology before I make the jump. The dark lenses are a real downer.

#87 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:20 AM

I've always been on the fence about the 3D monitors. They need to figure out a better glasses technology before I make the jump. The dark lenses are a real downer.

I haven't done any 3D gaming but watching movies with shitty $.99 glasses really takes away from the experience. I'd rather watch Avatar with my naked eye in brilliant HD than throw on some shitty classes that make everything look darker and one cool 3D thing happens every 15 minutes.

#88 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

It is noticeably darker with this shutter tech, which is a bit of a shame, especially if I ever feel like playing something where I need to be able to see the keyboard. I do really like the 3D effect though, which at first, yes, was very underwhelming. But unlike at the cinema, you can adjust the depth and convergence (pop-out) amount, so once you get used to normal amounts of 3D, you can take it way past what you see at the cinema. Plus, it's nice having a 120hz monitor again, haven't had a monitor that could manage that since the 90s. Hope Halo 3 comes out on PC at some point, Halo 2 Vista is soo badly made.

Edited by UHYVE, 18 August 2010 - 06:58 AM.

#89 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hope Halo 3 comes out on PC at some point, Halo 2 Vista is soo badly made.

Well, with Microsoft now at the helm of the franchise, I'm willing to bet we'll see a PC port some time in the future. Which will be really nice, because Halo 3 has a ton of graphical potential that is untapped on the '360. Imagine how good it'd look at a high resolution with AA and AF.

#90 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Well, with Microsoft now at the helm of the franchise, I'm willing to bet we'll see a PC port some time in the future. Which will be really nice, because Halo 3 has a ton of graphical potential that is untapped on the '360. Imagine how good it'd look at a high resolution with AA and AF.

I highly doubt they'll release H3 for the PC. I think they want to fully support Reach instead of spending money on H3. I don't imagine H2 sold well either so it wouldn't make sense from that perspective.

#91 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

To be fair I don't think many Microsoft IPs sell well on the PC but they're still releasing Fable 3 for Windows soon. You're probably right though, it's a shame to because Halo 3 was a very pretty game, it has some of the prettiest skylines I've ever seen in a video game... would be especially cool if it came with ODST :biggrin:

#92 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

Ok so like I waited until my new hard drive came in to reinstall Halo 2, turns out it actually works now (might be in part of the new Games for Windows Marketplace?), and Terminal is just as awesome as I remember it being. So yeah we should play this sometime. Also on a side note, can you play Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC with a 360 controller without having to use third party software? Because I might pick up a copy...

#93 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Also on a side note, can you play Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC with a 360 controller without having to use third party software? Because I might pick up a copy...

Yes!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909385

There's a video at the bottom that walks you through it.

It works pretty well, although strafing and moving at a diagonal angle still feel off.

#94 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

That's kinda unfortunate. I was hoping to find a real replacement for XBC especially since this includes more maps, I was just trying to find something that would give the same feel as it would as if you were playing it on the Xbox. If anyone finds anything, post it!

#95 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Well dude, it's pretty darn close.

#96 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Mouse and keyboard are way better for FPS anyway. I wish it was the other way around, and I could use my mouse and keyboard with my '360 (all of those gimmicky converters are shit), since a PC version of Reach is never going to happen.

#97 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Yes!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909385

There's a video at the bottom that walks you through it.

It works pretty well, although strafing and moving at a diagonal angle still feel off.

My problem was with the lack of magnetism and auto-aim. Do they have anything to resolve that yet, because without that it feels like you're shooting people on your own team (real hard).

#98 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

My problem was with the lack of magnetism and auto-aim. Do they have anything to resolve that yet, because without that it feels like you're shooting people on your own team (real hard).

No way to fix that. Mouse-using players would no doubt find a way to enable it and give themselves even more of an advantage.

#99 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

No way to fix that. Mouse-using players would no doubt find a way to enable it and give themselves even more of an advantage.

It's called aimbot ;) It wouldn't really matter if it was implemented because if you're going to cheat, you already have aimbot.

I actually prefer the controller for movement and the mouse for aiming. Too bad I can't have the best of both worlds ><.

Kinda silly though that we're not allowed to use mouse and keyboard on Xbox. I really don't see the reasoning, drivers are pretty much universal now. One could argue that it might give players an unfair advantage, but I find it very hard to believe that Veteran players would instantly lose to an average player just because of the control scheme.

[Pet Peeve Derailment]Then again, we're not even allowed to bind our buttons wherever we want. If I want to fire by pressing up on the D pad, that's my own business![/Pet Peeve Derailment]
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#100 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

So when are we going to get together and do customs on Halo 2 Vista? Who has the game? Cocopjojo Jironmo Dual Who else?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq