• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

Well my family is going to be ordering some computers and laptops soon, and I'm wondering: What OS should I get? XP or Vista?

I wanna play high-end games on it and everything, and definitely spore. I know vista has its problems right now, but it has games that work better on it (I thought) and that are/will be exclusive to Vista.

So what would you say? Should I stick with XP then upgrade once vista sp2 comes out, or just get vista right now?

There are definitely some hiccups with Vista, but they're not that serious. Keep in mind that SP1 for Vista has fixed most problems, and the cause of any other issues are really just drivers for various devices such as video graphic adapters. The drivers are improving all the time, I use Vista and have no problems at all. I heard all the same things when XP came out in 02: "I don't need all the graphic fluff", "This sucks, I like Win 2000 better", etc... The truth of the matter is that Vista will be the standard soon enough, if you don't get it now, you'll be buying it later.

#42 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Speaking of laptops, I got my graduation laptop yesterday. Fuck yeah free stuff!

Click me

It came in white/silver though.

#43 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

I want a graduation laptop... :'( That looks sweet, Nightshade. I dont know must about the Vaio, but my friend has an XPS. Its volume control is hard to do, but besides that the XPS is sexy. What do you think of the Vaio?

#44 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

I want a graduation laptop... :'(

That looks sweet, Nightshade. I dont know must about the Vaio, but my friend has an XPS. Its volume control is hard to do, but besides that the XPS is sexy. What do you think of the Vaio?

Haven't used it yet. My uncle who bought it for me (family computer tech/nerd.) is getting me all the new Microsoft Office programs as well as some antivirus software he uses installed on there for me since I suck at computer stuff. I guess I can give up thoughts here in a bit when I get it back.

#45 Highimpact1

Highimpact1
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

I have a 2 year old HP for myself, and it treats me pretty well.
Share the Unexplored

#46 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

I haven't had a whole bunch of time to mess with it, but so far I love it. It's very clean and sleek, runs great, and has more features than I could ever have use for. Even gets great battery life.

#47 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

Even gets great battery life.

Nice. My friends laptops (and mine as well) all get terrible battery life. I'm absolutely raging with jealousy.

Don't you find that Live gadget to be rather useless? Or do you like it?
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#48 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

Nice. My friends laptops (and mine as well) all get terrible battery life. I'm absolutely raging with jealousy.

Don't you find that Live gadget to be rather useless? Or do you like it?

I like it, I set it to show the status of everyone so I can see whos online when.

#49 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

I like it, I set it to show the status of everyone so I can see whos online when.

Everyone? I thought it only supported up to 5 gamertags.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#50 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Everyone? I thought it only supported up to 5 gamertags.

I think with the one I have you can have more. Not sure.

#51 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

I need some help with my computer. I'm currently on my 3 week mark without my computer, and this is entirely just pissing me off. As some of you know, my computer just up and blue screened on me back in July only a few days before I had to go out for training. I've been trying (attempting) to fix and make this thing workable ever since I've been back. It all started with that blue screen saying that the hard drive I had was 'unmountable,' but after installing my new OS everything was back to normal. I had ordered some parts (new case, 2 GBs of RAM, new video card, and a secondary hard drive) prior to those two weeks so they were sitting there waiting for me when I returned. After I had the OS installed and check to see if everything was working fine, I proceeded to changning everything over to the new case. Everything works. Awesome. But wait...after about a good 4-5 hours in my computer completely shuts down without warning. The hell? Whatever. I turn back on the power and proceed as if nothing had happened. 2-3 hours go by and it happens again. I now realize that this isn't a coincidence so I go in and check the computer from the inside to make sure everything is seated correctly and things are getting proper power, turn it on again, and it shuts down at even less time. Each interval being shorter than the last. It eventually got to the point where it did not even turn on at all. I talk to a few of my computer savvy friends and they suggest changing out the little motherboard battery. Nothing. New power supply? The new one I have seemed like it was working and then eventually ended up shutting down again. Just last week a friend suggested trying this program called Speed Fan which shows the tempurate of your computer. Hot damn. The readings couldn't be right. Processors were hitting 70-80C on idle. Ok, new plan, order some case fans and some new, better cooling gel for my heatsink. Gel came in this week, placed it on and it reduced the temp by 10 degrees. Good, but not where I needed to be since it was still shutting off after awhile. Fans came in today. I decided to take out the motherboard, and check every single fan to make sure it was clear of dust (and if not clean it with the compressed air can I have). I also went back and reapplied the cooling gel to my heatsink to make sure I covered all of the surface area before I placed it back down. Added everything, including the two new fans to my case. Everything is looking hopeful now. Plug in power...turn on...computer comes on, but now nothing is showing up on my monitor. Why? Weird thing is that I had a problem just like this before when putting all of my stuff in the new case. I thought something was wrong with the videocard, but there really wasn't. I'm not even really sure how I fixed it either as I went back to my original card and then to my new one and it just starting working, but that was before. Now I'm stuck because I can't even view anything. I know the videocard is working because the fan is running whenever I power on the computer. I've tried reseating the card at least 7 times by now and don't get a response. What am I doing wrong?

#52 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:50 AM

As long as your video card is seated in it's PCIe slot and plugged into the PSU properly, there's no reason for it to malfunction. So I guess all I can suggest is check those. Oh, and check the monitor wire, my monitor is very fussy about the wire being perfectly plugged in.

#53 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:16 AM

Checked the wire for the VGA port, and even flipped it around with no avail. I did some reading around and have come to the conclution that I may just have to go over and reseat everything. Wish me luck.

#54 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

Eh, I need a laptop. It will be used mainly for school. I might want to grab Starcraft 2, but it's optional. I just need a laptop that runs pretty well, and has good battery life. Any good ones for 700 to 800 dollars Canadian. I would ideally check out Best Buy in Canada for laptops, but I don't have a clue on which laptops are good, and which are not.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/home.asp

Canadian Best Buy Website

#55 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:26 AM

It all started with that blue screen saying that the hard drive I had was 'unmountable,'

The rest was too long; didn't read.

Your hard drive is bad. Try a new hard drive. If you can't mount it, it's got serious defects most likely.

#56 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

Sorry for the double post, had some stuff I needed to do. If you have an old machine, put the hard drive in that machine and see if it boots or can read data off it.

#57 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Eh, I need a laptop. It will be used mainly for school. I might want to grab Starcraft 2, but it's optional. I just need a laptop that runs pretty well, and has good battery life. Any good ones for 700 to 800 dollars Canadian. I would ideally check out Best Buy in Canada for laptops, but I don't have a clue on which laptops are good, and which are not.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/home.asp

Canadian Best Buy Website

a month ago i just did some research for a friend and got her an awesome intel core 2 duo 2.13ghz, 3gb ram, 160gb hard drive with 512MB shared video memory on an nvidia chip. Total cost was $450 after rebates. It was an unbelievable deal IMO.

I just bought an Intel Q6600 Quad core at 2.4 ghz 8mb l2 cache with a decent ECS motherboard combo for $170 total. The cheapest you can find even the Q6600 processor by itself is $190 at the lowest right now. So if you want a deal, let me know what you want and I may be able to find something pretty decent for you.

#58 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

I need some help with my computer. I'm currently on my 3 week mark without my computer, and this is entirely just pissing me off.

As some of you know, my computer just up and blue screened on me back in July only a few days before I had to go out for training. I've been trying (attempting) to fix and make this thing workable ever since I've been back.

It all started with that blue screen saying that the hard drive I had was 'unmountable,' but after installing my new OS everything was back to normal. I had ordered some parts (new case, 2 GBs of RAM, new video card, and a secondary hard drive) prior to those two weeks so they were sitting there waiting for me when I returned. After I had the OS installed and check to see if everything was working fine, I proceeded to changning everything over to the new case. Everything works. Awesome. But wait...after about a good 4-5 hours in my computer completely shuts down without warning. The hell? Whatever. I turn back on the power and proceed as if nothing had happened. 2-3 hours go by and it happens again. I now realize that this isn't a coincidence so I go in and check the computer from the inside to make sure everything is seated correctly and things are getting proper power, turn it on again, and it shuts down at even less time. Each interval being shorter than the last. It eventually got to the point where it did not even turn on at all.

I talk to a few of my computer savvy friends and they suggest changing out the little motherboard battery. Nothing. New power supply? The new one I have seemed like it was working and then eventually ended up shutting down again. Just last week a friend suggested trying this program called Speed Fan which shows the tempurate of your computer. Hot damn. The readings couldn't be right. Processors were hitting 70-80C on idle. Ok, new plan, order some case fans and some new, better cooling gel for my heatsink. Gel came in this week, placed it on and it reduced the temp by 10 degrees. Good, but not where I needed to be since it was still shutting off after awhile. Fans came in today. I decided to take out the motherboard, and check every single fan to make sure it was clear of dust (and if not clean it with the compressed air can I have). I also went back and reapplied the cooling gel to my heatsink to make sure I covered all of the surface area before I placed it back down. Added everything, including the two new fans to my case. Everything is looking hopeful now. Plug in power...turn on...computer comes on, but now nothing is showing up on my monitor. Why? Weird thing is that I had a problem just like this before when putting all of my stuff in the new case. I thought something was wrong with the videocard, but there really wasn't. I'm not even really sure how I fixed it either as I went back to my original card and then to my new one and it just starting working, but that was before.

Now I'm stuck because I can't even view anything. I know the videocard is working because the fan is running whenever I power on the computer. I've tried reseating the card at least 7 times by now and don't get a response.

What am I doing wrong?

I had a similar problem with my video card one time. All I did though, after I got pissed and let that settle down, i disconnected every connection to the motherboard, cleared the CMOS settings (with the little two prong jumper), and then reseated/connected everything. I powered it up and blam-o. it worked.

Needless to say though, I bought a new Motherboard probably 2 months after that because i was not happy with the way that whole situation worked out.

So those are your two options:
1. disconnect/dismount everything and replug them back in.
2. buy a new mobo

#59 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

=O

It was the CMOS. It came right up as soon as I reset it!

I love you.

The rest was too long; didn't read.

Your hard drive is bad. Try a new hard drive. If you can't mount it, it's got serious defects most likely.

You should have read more into it...it definitely wasn't my harddrive. Thanks for playing.

#60 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Yup. Everything is working and the entire computer temp has dropped by 60 degrees. It's now running at 100-110F like it should be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq