• 515 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

:pirate: This will be my first opportunity to download this :/

#3 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

How is the patch working for you guys? I haven't had a chance to download it yet.

#4 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

How is the patch working for you guys? I haven't had a chance to download it yet.

I'm afraid to download it :/

#5 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

I actually got SP1 quite a while back, the most noticeable change is that copying files is a lot quicker... and I can't really think of many other differences. I guess I might have gotten an extra frame or two from Crysis, but I didn't do any benchmarks before I upgraded, so I don't know.

#6 RetroShadow

RetroShadow

Your Local Cinematographer and Photographer

• 623 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

I just downloaded it and it fixed a few problems that I had with shutting down my computer. Files are faster to copy and transfer like UHYVE said. Other than that I haven't noticed anything else that is different.
XBL:RetroShadow
AIM:RetroShadow1

#7 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

Maybe it's just the fact that I went from 32-bit to 64-bit, but holy shit this thing is fast. Way faster than XP, and pretty good support from what I can tell. I approve.

#8 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Okay I got SP1 up and running and the improvements in speed and hibernate recovery are awesome. It used to take forever for my laptop to come back on after I opened it up from hibernating. Now its instantaneous. The internet is overall faster now also. I'm really impressed. Awesome.

#9 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Right before I left last Sunday, my computer completely crapped out on me so I'm going to give Vista x64-bit Edition a try. I have already ordered several pieces that I've been wanting, but couldn't have just because I had XP. I hope to see this utilize my quad-core processor more effectively. -2 more GBs of RAM (which will make it 4 GBs total) -GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB (for DirectX 10) -A tower case that's actually worth it (like one with USB ports in the front which are almost a necessity now-a-days) How much different is it really from XP and is there really anything that isn't compatible from it? Ever since the patches came out, I've only heard good things about it.

#10 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Vista reminds me of Viki from I Robot

#11 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the awesome feedback... :confused:

#12 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

It's not as bad as most media and geeks will make it out to be. There's a lot of so-called FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) being spread by people who are decidedly opinionated on issues of operating systems (not just from the open source camp.) Honestly, I've used it since before it was on shelves, though I haven't personally paid for an OS except for Vista Business came preinstalled on my laptop in a decade. Microsoft gives me freebies. I even got Vista for free. So that may bias my opinion a bit. That said, it's still nowhere near as bad as anyone makes it out to be.

#13 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

How much different is it really from XP and is there really anything that isn't compatible from it? Ever since the patches came out, I've only heard good things about it.

You won't have too much difficulty (if any at all) running most applications. Enough caveats in that sentence? ;)

You won't see much bang for your buck out of the 64-bit architecture, or from the Quad Core. Most applications still aren't taking advantage of these technologies quite yet. But you won't have too much trouble adjusting to the operating system. It's still a Windows environment with some better functionality layered on. The new Start Search feature is similar to Spotlight on the Mac, and it works very well, but most of the extra stuff is unnecessary and leads to some significant bloating. I turn almost all of it off for gaming.

#14 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

If you plan on putting 4GB of RAM in though, definitely go with 64-bit. The non-technical explanation is that Windows will only be able to access about 3GB of memory in a 32 bit OS depending on your video card. The technical explanation is that all your devices, your keyboard, your video card(s), everything occupies so-called "special" places in memory, and that's typically put at the top end of your memory space (32 bits = 4GB of addressable space.) So if you have a 512MB video card, that memory is addressed by some 512MB chunk of your available 4GB. Given the amount of video memory modern graphics cards have, you can easily lose a GB of memory by putting in two shiny new video cards. You could, if you put in two 1GB cards, be stuck with less than 2GB of RAM. Not a good situation at all. By using a 64 bit OS, you can put in many terabytes of RAM before you get to that limit.

Edited by Anpheus, 26 July 2008 - 01:53 PM.

#15 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, with memory being so cheap lately, I've been thinking of getting 8GB of RAM. So I'd definitely have to go 64bit. I had 64bit Vista before but there were a couple of devices I had that didn't have any 64bit drivers (my phone and webcam for example). There are drivers for those things now, so imo, there's really no reason to not get 64bit Vista. Other than that though, I didn't really see any differences between 64bit and 32bit, although I hear Crysis actually gets a few extra frames per second in 64bit Vista.

Vista all round is very similar to XP, with alittle more prettiness. It can be a bit slower, but if you're willing to mess around with services.msc to stop all the useless programs booting, as far as I can tell, it's no worse than XP.

Great site for figuring out what services you need running.

#16 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:53 AM

That's more like it. Thanks for the input. My computer originally would always drop down in the framerate department on the last part of the game, but these upgrades (along with DirectX 10 settings) should definitely settle that out. I can't even begin to imagine how badass the game will look in realtime now.

#17 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Finally have my computer up and running. I still have to wait on my secondary SATA cables before I start going into PC gaming again, but that should happen before the weekend. Vista is running very nicely. I love the smooth and fast interface it uses. I didn't have to install any drivers in order to have most of my stuff running right off the bat which was kind of impressive especially since getting this sound card to work on XP is a bitch to begin with. With all this said, I'm officially back online.

#18 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Not sp 1 related, but the new update is disabling my dvd drive. gawd. I system restored back to before this most recent update, dvd drive works properly. Then I re-update, and dvd drive is back down. vista :stupid:

Edited by txlonghorn, 11 September 2008 - 10:50 AM.

#19 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Texas, did it give you an error about your video card or something like that when you tried to use the drive?

#20 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Not sp 1 related, but the new update is disabling my dvd drive. gawd. I system restored back to before this most recent update, dvd drive works properly. Then I re-update, and dvd drive is back down.

vista
:stupid:

Search your model number for the DVD drive and download and install the driver manually after the update, or even before it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq