• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

But you have to take into account that I am probably in better shape than you are.

Yes, yes you are. My workout went more like 4 sets of: 30 sec jog, 30 sec sprint, 30 sec walk, and I still almost threw up.

#22 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

Yes, yes you are. My workout went more like 4 sets of: 30 sec jog, 30 sec sprint, 30 sec walk, and I still almost threw up.

Oh no I still often have many times where I almost throw up.

#23 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

I've actually started running with a few friends of mine, but ours is a little bit different. Ours consist of a 30-35 minute jog, and then the last stretch, we sprint it out.

#24 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

I tried it out. Instead of stretching, I'd just run my muscles through the range of motion required by the particular workout as a warm up.

What we have here is a description of dynamic stretching. You, sir, are still stretching, but in a more intelligent manner.

Edited by Syracuse022, 07 July 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#25 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:42 AM

I don't know, cuse. I really don't think "stretch" is the right verb. Maybe preparing, or even warming up. But it is in no sense a "stretch" to work your knee back and forth a few times or to lift your foot off the ground and roll your ankle around a bit.

#26 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys, 16 years old, 135 pounds. I have soccer practice / league games five times per week. If I'm not actually at soccer, I tend to be playing basketball or just kicking a ball around. I do not worry about what I eat, except prior to games. Pretty good at cardio. However, I am scrawny as hell, so I would like some advice on weight training and what to eat in order to get some upper body strength. Seriously, what I lift in the gym is just plain embarrassing.

#27 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

If you're planning on bulking up, then Nightshade's post is pretty much all you need to do.

Eat a lot, but don't make it shitty food. Protein shake, protein shake, protein shake. Weight train a lot. If you're looking to bulk up, successively increase the amount of weight you're lifting in a small number of reps.

If you want to do track and field or other activities, you'll want to do lower weights with higher reps, and less eating.

Edit: I should add that a lot of teens will have an uber metabolism for reasons beyond their control, in which case food goes in and then "evaporates" without being turned into muscle mass or even fat. I know a guy like that and he weighs 40 pounds less than I do and can compete with me in terms of eating easily. If you've got this "problem" then you may find it very, very hard to become un-skinny. It may just be a genetic predisposition toward lower weight for now and there's only so much you can do so don't stress about it. If you try and bulk up and don't see any effects, go into track or something and kick their asses.

Edited by Anpheus, 08 July 2008 - 12:22 PM.

#28 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Anpheus is right on. When I started lifting pretty consistently when I was 18 I had a lot harder time putting on muscle than I do now (at 22 years old). It probably won't take you that long, as I would say I'm a late bloomer (I grew an inch last year), but you'll have to be a little patient. I have a friend that was a hard-gainer in High School; I think he weighed 150 lbs at 6', but since High School he's put on about 35 pounds from working out and his body maturing. There seems to be a certain point where your chest, shoulders, legs, etc. will naturally fill out and the timing seems to be based on genetic factors.

#29 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hey guys, 16 years old, 135 pounds, 3'7" tall. I have soccer practice / league games five times per week. If I'm not actually at soccer, I tend to be playing basketball or just kicking a ball around. I do not worry about what I eat, except prior to games. Pretty good at cardio.

You don't seem that scrawny.

#30 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

If he were 3'7" at that weight, I'd say he should wrestle. He'd be, oh, unbeatable thanks to his muscle density.

#31 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

If he were 3'7" at that weight, I'd say he should become a bowling ball. He'd be, oh, unbeatable thanks to his muscle density.

#32 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

Hey Nightshade, what is your opinion on HIIT Swimming? I've read a few articles on it, and it sounds like it has all the benefits without the impact. I love swimming, and I would much rather do that then run. Also, baseball just ended yesterday and I have gone back to being without a weight room. I am doing pushups (with the perfect pushup things), crunches (with a declined bench), and pullups. Could you suggest a workout for a 5'11" 16 year old who needs to cut a few pounds? Thanks.

#33 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:51 PM

I know you're asking Nightshade, but I suggest running your ass off (find a schedule that works for you) and don't eat after 8p.

#34 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hey Nightshade, what is your opinion on HIIT Swimming? I've read a few articles on it, and it sounds like it has all the benefits without the impact. I love swimming, and I would much rather do that then run.

Also, baseball just ended yesterday and I have gone back to being without a weight room. I am doing pushups (with the perfect pushup things), crunches (with a declined bench), and pullups. Could you suggest a workout for a 5'11" 16 year old who needs to cut a few pounds?

Thanks.

Like Matt said, running = weight loss. But swimming is always good too seeing as how it's a full body workout. But would I recommend it? Not unless you have access to a body of water without chlorine because swimming in chlorine consistently will cause temporary hair loss.

Just make sure you do some heavy cardio and watch what you eat if you want to lose weight.

#35 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:19 PM

I have a saline pool in my backyard. :P So you're telling me I have to quit eating my 8 Twinkies a day? Darn. I guess that doing homework and working out will preoccupy me for the next month.

#36 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

Also, chlorine in pools can mess up your lungs just sucking in the vapors.

#37 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

I spoke with a friend of mine that is a personal trainer. He said 35 to 45 minutes 5 days a week of any exercise that keeps your heart rate around 150 bpm is where it?s at. Not saying that just because he is a personal trainer his word is that of the lord, but he does have some credibility with me.

#38 Supa Ben

Supa Ben
  • Veteran
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

I've been playing with these old soccer shoes and are in need of new ones. Right now I have some huge blisters on both feet. How can I make them feel better by my tournament Friday? Taking time off isn't an option because I'm required to be doing things leading up to it. Any Advice?

#39 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:09 PM

http://www.webmd.com...-home-treatment

#40 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

I spoke with a friend of mine that is a personal trainer. He said 35 to 45 minutes 5 days a week of any exercise that keeps your heart rate around 150 bpm is where it?s at. Not saying that just because he is a personal trainer his word is that of the lord, but he does have some credibility with me.

I agree. 150 Beats Per Minute is the "standard" for good weight loss. As for the 35-45 minute workouts, I somewhat agree, but body builders also didn't get that big by only doing 30 minute workouts.

Also, Supa the only real way to heal those is to stay off of them. But since you can't what you need to do is keep your feet dry. I suggest washing your shoes, maybe bring another pair of socks with you to practice and change them out mid-practice. And when you're off put some gold bonds powder in your socks/shoes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq