Photo

Space: The Final Frontier

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:13 AM

I don't think belief in the supernatural and understanding the importance of space exploration has to be mutually exclusive at all.

I know. There is complete understanding between us on this issue.

I was just giving my two cents.

Carl Sagan kicks my ass.

#22 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:37 AM

Bill Stone Has The Stones.

This is a great presentation on the technology being invented for exploration of Europa. Stone also outlines a mission to the Shackleton crater on the Moon. After watching this, Bill Stone is my hero.

Carolyn Porco flies us around Saturn So awesome. The moons of Saturn are some of the most exciting places in our Known Space.

---off space---

The TED talks are some of my favorite things on the internet. Poke around and see what cool stuff you find there. I recommend Steven Pinker's History of Violence. Its been on my mind for weeks.

#23 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

Another Universe detected?

There are a couple of theories out there that predict this, like the neat Entangled Universes theory, but this discovery may very well shake the foundations of modern Cosmology, forcing it to seriously consider String Theory.

Thats the awesome thing about science and Cosmology. Instead of persecuting and sidelining people when they present us with inconvenient truths, new discoveries that challenge the 'standard' theories is an exciting time in the scientific world, letting evidence advance our understanding of reality as we know it. The self corrective mechanisms of the scientific method allow us to change and update our understanding as observations are made, making dogmatic thinking untenable in the face of facts.

If this void really is the boundary of another universe, it could be a revolutionary discovery, and that is always a good thing. Imagine the implications if we are ever able to peer into that void, and see whats happening inside of it.

#24 alexh

alexh
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:44 AM

One thing about space travel I think is really cool is this.. and it may be the key to traveling extremely long distances in the future: The only reason light travels as fast as it does is because its the only way it can exist. If an object has no mass it is forced to go the speed of light. An attraction between two bodies(gravity), the electromagnetic spectrum, and some other objects all have no mass and therefore are forced to go the speed of light simply to exist. Give an object negative mass, and it will be forced to go even faster to balance the equation. Oh and the other really cool thing, dealing with relativity, is the age differences between an observer and space traveller. If you accelerate a ship to .9999 the speed of light, the ships crew would be able to travel to the other side of the galaxy in their lifetime. The only problem is.. time in the galaxy would be in a different frame of reference, and everyone they knew on earth would be long dead. There are some other really really cool topics dealing with this stuff.. Question.. if you shoot a single photon towards a sheet of paper with three holes in it, which hole does the photon go through? The answer is all 3...... until you observe it. The simple act of observing the photon makes it abide by the laws of physics and "choose" a hole. Otherwise the photon becomes probability.

#25 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

This Blew My Mind:

Posted Image

#26 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Looked up Canis Majoris. Apparently, if our sun was replaced by it, it's surface would reach all the way out to the orbit of Saturn. Holy crap.

#27 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

This Blew My Mind:

I got that same thing in an e-mail a few months ago. Pretty humbling.

#28 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

I got that same thing in an e-mail a few months ago. Pretty humbling.

Yeah, who knew Uranus was that big.

Oh no he di-unt.
Spoiler

#29 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

The size of those stars are just ridiculous...
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#30 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

Some mind-blowing pictures from the GAF thread:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tons more here:

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=227775

God I love space.

#31 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=227775

My iPhoto library just got a tad bigger. Awesome stuff.

Loved this one of all the galaxies:

Posted Image

Do people really still think we're alone?

Edited by Kinetic, 09 February 2008 - 05:11 PM.

#32 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

Do people really still think we're alone?

If they do, they're crazy and self-centered. It's about time for humanity to step off of its high horse, because you can bet on there being intelligent life out there somewhere. Some of it is probably even more advanced than us. I think that's pretty damn cool.

Posted Image

Edited by Drew, 10 February 2008 - 12:16 AM.

#33 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:13 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
=0

Posted Image
Shock wave on the sun.

Holy shit (best video ever):

http://antwrp.gsfc.n..._label_med4.mov

Radio emissions from Saturn:

http://saturn.jpl.na...7966-112203.wav

Lol physics:

http://lisar.larc.na...-1998-00046.mov

Laser-powered flight:

http://www.lightcraf...lery_video.html

Yay, space!

#34 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:39 AM

Where's Monuckah??

#35 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Don't know if you lot are interested by this sorta stuff but a few days ago there was an interesting story on Slashdot:

Article

It would appear that the US President has been briefed by Phoenix scientists about the discovery of something more 'provocative' than the discovery of water existing on the Martian surface. This news comes just as the Thermal and Evolved Gas Analyzer (TEGA) confirmed experimental evidence for the existence of water in the Mars regolith on Thursday.

This obviously made everyone jump to conclusions, but they actually did find something alittle interesting:

Article

In an update to the little green men story of not-life-on-Mars, NASA has twittered: 'The buzz this weekend was due to an interesting soil chemistry finding, still preliminary, but now avail here:' where 'here' is NASA Spacecraft Analyzing Martian Soil Data. The exciting bit: 'Within the last month, two samples have been analyzed by the Wet Chemistry Lab of the spacecraft's Microscopy, Electrochemistry, and Conductivity Analyzer, or MECA, suggesting one of the soil constituents may be perchlorate, a highly oxidizing substance.' Also, 'NASA will hold a media teleconference on Tuesday, Aug. 5, at 2 p.m. EDT, to discuss these recent science activities.

Apparently, perchlorate is what they use in rocket fuel AND can be used to create large amounts of oxygen. So basically, after the discovery of frozen water the other day, we now know that Mars contains water and is coated in rocket fuel and the means to create oxygen. Which, I guess means manned missions to Mars are actually becoming closer to being plausible now.

#36 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

ZOMG at those pictures. I never knew space was so sexy. Reminds me of Titan AE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq