Halo 2

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:46 PM

I know that there are some of us that struggle sometimes within the heat of battle, so I decided to make this list to help you guys out.

EDIT: List Updated.

Tip #1
One of the major things that you must learn to use is the frag/plasma grenade.
It can be very useful for several different things
-Destroy your opponent's sheild
-Grabbing 'out of reach' weapons
-Killing your enemies with little or no shield

In order to use the grenade properly, you must first check to see where your opponent is heading. If he is heading towards you then look for a place to chuck your frag which it will explode right as he gets there, like a wall or a corner. This also works when you are about to die, if you have the chance in killing your opponent by simply lodging a frag next to you then take it! It's better to gain a kill even though your enemy will too in the process.

Use walls to your advantage, if you know an opponent is around the corner throw your grenade against the wall will make it bounce towards your enemy giving you a better chance of throwing him off guard, taking down his shields, and gaining a kill.

Tip #2
Never run into battle with not-so-powerful weaponry, make sure you grab anything weither it be a few extra grenades or a handgun for a SMG/Handgun combination. You'll have a much better chance in gaining some kills if you are caught in a fight with something besides just a SMG.

Tip #3
Use your surroundings to your advantage. Like on Ivory Tower for example, I was able to avoid several charged plasma shots by just simply ducking behind the light structure next to the shotgun spawn.

Tip #4
Take the jump strike into consideration when you have the flag, bomb, or even the skull. It counts as an instant kill if pulled off sucessfully, this is extremely helpful if you are being followed since it gives you some more time to stay alive.

Tip #5
When you have either the sword or rockets, make sure that you jump before executing the following action. This allows for easier aim with the rocket, and you almost always cut them down with the sword.

Tip #6
ALWAYS ALWAYS contest!! This will allow the team more time to organize themselves for a sucessful win. Make sure that whoever is doing the contesting does not talk (only talk if really needed), and stays completely hiden from the enemy.

Tip #7
Help your fellow sniper take out the other sniper by knocking off their scope. Yes, you could even use the SMG if you are close enough.

Tip #8
The Buddy System. This is what teams are for. Pick a person on your team to stick with and go from there. Remember, two Spartans are better than one (especially BR wise).

Tip #9
Earlier tip not really needed. Just make sure that you know what your teammates are doing and likewise. Good communication will ensure that you will be able to ambush the enemy from 2 or more sides and complete the objective.

Tip#10
During Team Slayer matches, keep your team informed on what the other team is doing. Like for example: "There's a sniper beside the rocket spawn." Make sure to be as descriptive as possible so your team will have a good idea of where to look. This would also work well with Tip #9.

And on a final note, don't use your teammates as target practice...

• Guests

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

Heh, I use all of those tactics. They work well, but allow me to further add-on to it with some of my own strategies. These are the 3 keys to kicking ass in close quarters. GRENADES: Grenades and Shotgun is the bread and butter of any offensive I put up. A quick toss of the grenade, a couple of mid range shots, and a final melee attack will decimate any opposition. An important backup weapon is the battle rifle or carbine. With a short range weapon you need a weapon to deliver some pain across long distance, as obviously, the shotgun is not for ranged attacks. In most games we play nowadays, there's no motion sensor. This makes it easy for people to sneak behind you. If I hear an enemy talking nearby or I hear a gunshot behind me, without turning around I throw a grenade to the side of any structure so that it bounces back into the path I was walking, and injure anyone that may have been following me. I then turn around to see if anyone is indeed following me. You can laugh at this tactic, but it's saved my ass more than once. MELEE: Melee attack is an important basis of close quarters combat. Heres how it works. Running Strike = Good Damage, but not enough to kill someone. Jumping Strike = Excellent damage, usually kills the target. The shotgun is the ideal weapon in my book for anything close quarters. What it lacks in melee power as the sword or brute shot, you only need to get close enough to damage the enemy just a little bit, and then melee them for the final blow. If you know your math, this is how using a shotty should work: 1 Close Shot + Running Strike/Jumping Strike = 1 Kill for you. If the target has an overshield, the target is still no match for a couple of point blank shots to the face with the 12 guage. SHOTGUN: Now, actually USING the blast of the shotgun is an unlearned art by many Halo-goers. Here is how you effectively use the shotgun. -In a shotguns match, if you have someone chasing you, wait until they are close enough (not TOO close), like maybe mid range, and when they fire, you'll see it does minimal damage, and they have to wait a second for their shotgun to fire again. This is when you run in, blast them and melee them all in one graceful motion of the controller. There are my personal battle notes. I always use these whenever I can.

#3 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

Tip #7
Help your fellow sniper take out the other sniper by knocking off their scope. Yes, you could even use the SMG if you are close enough.

Tip #8
The Buddy System. This is what teams are for. Pick a person on your team to stick with and go from there. Remember, two Spartans are better than one.

Tip #9
During objective games, make sure you follow your superior's orders so your team won't be left just running around aimlessly.

Tip#10
During Team Slayer matches, keep your team informed on what the other team is doing. Like for example: "There's a sniper beside the underneath the rocket spawn." Make sure to be as descriptive as possible so your team will have a good idea of where to look. This would also work well with Tip #9.

Sick Dual... some of those are just crucially important, ESPECIALLY THE LAST FOUR, and I myself often neglect 7-9, with devastating results.

1) To the grenade tips you guys gave, let me add that any well placed frag plus a headshot from the BR is all it takes, and if your opponent wasn't aware of you before, that combination equals instant death, and the all-too satisfying question: "Wait... how did one grenade kill me?"

7) Snipers are crucial... help your sniper any way that you can, by covering him to make sure he doesn't die and turn that weapon over to the opposition, by calling out enemy locations, especially when you're playing SMG spawn, because you likely can't take out the guy you've just spotted without getting a little bloody and messy. The sniper, on the other hand, can make that turkey flip with one pull of the trigger.

8) As far as the buddy system goes, just think about it. Let's say that you and a partner fire two BR shots and hit both... Let's say that the other guy is a crack marksman and can hit 4 straight. By the time that guy drops, he will have had the chance to fire only two shots, as each of your two have combined to kill him. That leaves one of you with full health and the other with half a shield bar remaining. It's a no brainer. Combination fire from skilled BR players can just overwhelm and destroy a team, especially in n00bie SMG spawn games.

9) As BRASH can attest, I sometimes ignore orders, and it usually doesn't work out well for me... I'm starting to get it, though.

10) IF YOU LEARN ONE RULE, LEARN NUMBER TEN.... COMMUNICATE... ALL THE TIME... IT REALLY MATTERS AND MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I'd love to have a tape of radio calls during team slayer games that people like h00ters, Fallen, Dual, dw, Blaze, and I play... we're talking all of the time. Granted, some of the time we're calling out triple kills and snopes, but we're also helping eachother. Fallen, one just spawned at red base, can you get him? "StK mmN00b420 was killed by FallenSoldier05"

11) Yellow is a KILL STEAL
But Red is a SAVED YER ASS
Know the damn difference. If the person's icon has a yellow border, he's not taking hits, he's obviously won the battle- you are wasting both of your time by popping in a single BR shot at the end in order to finish the guy off and claim a kill of your own. Instead of doing that and pissing the other guy off, look around for other targets, ones who aren't being raped or perhaps (-gasp-) ones who might be a threat to you or your teammates. I've never seen dwchief so mad in matchmaking as the time we won a game on Warlock by a score of something like 50-5 (me, Paul, DW, and some random n00b). Why? We could have blanked those bitches, but the random n00b was doing what I just described. DW had concentrated all of his fire into a player, and was about to kill him. All of a sudden, his kill is stolen, and he drops to the ground dead, assassinated. WTF??? The other player was clearly looking in dw's direction. Why didn't he a) Warn dw that someone was behind him, then look to see whether dw would need help in finishing off the first guy as he turned to face the new threat B) Kill the guy who was running up behind dw, while warning him over the radio...

Just remember, if the person is red, or appears to be retreating, help 'em out, they'll probably thank you. Also, if you and a partner are combining fire, your partner won't complain if some of the kills don't go his way. He'll be too happy that you have double the other team's score.

Just my 57 cents... in WOODEN NICKELS

#4 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:48 PM

...Just don't look em in the eyes when you kill them. They... they h-haunt me. Late at night. Oh God help me... all those shiny visors st-staring at me. Yea yea good stuff with the communication but over the years I've learned it's too hard to change the way people play and I'd rather not be prick telling people what to do so I just rather play with people who play the way I do. But it's really sick playing with VoD and getting killed instantly by four simultaneous BR headshots. By the way I'm typing all this up on my new laptizzop, on which I just installed Half Life 2 (come over Eric I'll show you). As such I probably won't be playing Halo as much until the new maps come out....sooooo that's where I am. Don't want to pull a DW and leave all you wonderful people in the dark for ages.
don't tread on me

• Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

Yeah I was fucking pissed at that game.

#6 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the info on some of these. For the most part, I consider this information common knowledge to people who play Halo 2 as much as us, but there are some really good tips in there that everyone needs to know. On a personal note, I've noticed that the last week or so I've been at the bottom of the leaderboards on Slayer games for that matter and it's been hit or miss for me on Team Slayer and objective base games. I believe part of the reason I've been playing this way is that I go to work from 7-6 and then work on my real estate classes from 6-10 and then I play Halo 2 from 10-3, rinse, wash and repeat. I may just be overtired and off quite a bit. Plus I've been dealing with this new 16:9 aspect ratio which in some ways stretches the screen noticably and is quite different from the 4:3 I've been playing Halo games in for four years. I've also been going up and down my look sensitivity and turning off/on my controller vibration to try to get control of my game. I was wondering if anyone has seen things I've done or haven't done that you would recommend. Over the past week or so, everyone has killed me about 32413484845454 times each, so you should all know what I'm struggling at. From my angle it feels like I'll get four good BR shots off on an enemy and they take two shots from the same weapon and I'm dead. They aren't visibly using a combo, grenades or a melee attack and yet they still kill me and I'm left wondering if it's my aim (despite be head or near head hits per my screen), lag or possibly another cause. I also see a lot of time during the split second interval between using my thumb to steer and using it to melee that I miss the guy completely, he swings behind me easily and knocks me down. So, how the fuck do I fix these n00biquitous failures?

• Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

When it comes to BR fighting, if you get hit first, chances are you're going to die before the other guy. If thats the case, find some cover, wait for your shields, and strike first with the BR shots to the head. If you fire first, he/she will probably go down before you.

#8 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

Voc. My guess is simultaneous shots from two or more on the other team attacking you at the same time. Being double, triple, quadruple teamed rots. What Phantom stated is typically the case in a BR fight. You can blame it on the fact that you're obtaining higher goals in life which outweigh your leader board score. Looking at that, there's no reason to be upset with your Halo 2 ability..
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#9 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

Voc, I wouldn't be surprised if you were getting pockets of lag in the middle of games. I've been one of those guys that you began hitting and then turned around on you and ended up killing you, and trust me I don't think it has anything to do with skill. I don't know what to tell you to do about it though. Maybe you should try playing over xbox live from a different internet source (like over at Unrelenting's house) and see if your play improves.

• Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

If you are not confident with your headshot skills (with BR) then do 3 on the body, but try to get that last one on the head.

#11 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

I'm going to take all of that into consideration, guys, so thanks... and BRASH, I think you may be partially correct about multiple attackers bringing my shields down further than I calculate, at least during Slayer matches. Sometimes in Warlock I simply jump to a platform after respawning (I've had a lot of practice respawning lately and in short, I'm damn good at it- it only takes me a few seconds to respawn) and then suddenly I'm getting shot at from for different directions who evidentally only see me there, and not each other of the crooks on the opposite side of the map, lobbing grenades at me to get an easy kill. Crooks. They're all crooks. Thanks for the comments though, I'm going to work on sleep, headshots and proration for the next few days.

#12 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

Also, work on your strafing, it's a HUGE factor in who wins a one-on-one fight with battle rifles. Alternate between long and short strafes, and don't get predictable. Of course, strafing only helps after you've mastered shooting while strafing.

• Guests

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

Another important thing: Don't jump while in BR combat. That makes your head an easier target.

#14 Major Hayes

Major Hayes

Needler Master

• Veteran
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

I think that we should think about setting up some training for the newer members, like myself. I know that this clan has some great players, and I would love to practice and learn some new tecniques. We play a lot of games, but often we don't take the time to stop and practice how to get better. I know that would really appreciate the help.

#15 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

Aim for the head, if you do that you'll win at least 50% of your one on one battles, unless you're playing with 'Cuse, Hooters, Fallen, or anyone else in our clan.

#16 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

Hayes, I'd be happy to show you some tricks, and I'm pretty sure guys like Fallen, Blaze, and Dual would too... h00ters? Probably not so much, but you never know... Kinetic could probably teach us all a few tips on stickies... Which reminds me, later today, I'm going to post two videos... one of Kinetic's very first play in his first game back (Do you remember it Kinetic?). And one of a new strategy Fallen and I have developed... suicide bombings!!! Van, aiming for the head is a good way to start, but it's actually better to shoot 3 in the chest and then 1 in the head the way dwchief talked about. The chest is a bigger target, so your shots are less likely to miss. After the third shot bring it up to the head and shoot at least twice, to make sure they fall.

#17 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

You aim for the body, and then go for the head? Every time? Maybe that's why I keep getting pwned. I just go straight for the head, because I don't want to worry about trying to move my reticule around too much in battle, and I don't want to worry about counting my shots, when I'm more focused on aiming and moving around. I'll have to try that out. I guess I just never adjusted the way I shoot from Halo 1, where it was 1, 2, 3 shots to the head and you're dead. Anyway, I'll mess with that, and see what happens. How about turning off the rumble feature in your controller, I was thinking that might give you a bit better control or something, anyone experimented with that?

• Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:05 PM

In the original Halo turning off rumble helped me quite a bit, but you die so fast in 2 that its better to keep it on.

#19 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

Haha sure I'd help... buuutt my internet's down and I don't know when it's going to get fixed.
don't tread on me

#20 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:36 AM

Team Ball Elongation:

I figured this out while playing, seems to work the best. Sorry there's no good map angle. The bomb guy needs to be safe from all grenades, that's why he can't be at the top of the ramp.

Posted Image
don't tread on me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq