Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

Haha, oh man. So this new xbox thing just happened. Here are its features:
  • Live TV
  • The ability to switch between games, tv, movies, and apps
  • More Kinect
  • CG sports games
  • Halo: Spielberg's Tablescraps
  • Quantum Break (What? The title of this game doesn't tell you what it is? Well, neither did the trailer.)
  • Call of Duty: Goats has dog mocap
  • Content
  • Experiences
  • Content experiences
  • Exclusive content experiences
Am I not taking this seriously enough? Well, there was nothing to take seriously. I didn't expect them to show a bunch of games, but I also didn't expect them to show nothing impressive. I was hoping it would be a Steambox (which would have been a longshot, but would also have easily put it over the PS4). There's some kind of video recording feature, but they barely mentioned it, which means there probably isn't any livestreaming integration. There's no new logo, surprisingly. They didn't talk about any new friend/social features or achievements or really anything that gamers use all the time on the 360. Instead, they showed videos of a bunch of talking heads read scripts about: Xbox pretentiousness, sports, kinect, and Call of Duty. I don't know why I should be interested in this thing. Someone tell me. Halp.

#2 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

I'm real disappointed. And for more reasons than I had to look at the clock and wonder why I hadn't seen a single game 40 minutes in. - I can appreciate the Kinect and all that. Especially from an HCI and haptics standpoint. But I really haven't seen a a single compelling reason to want one. - I like ESPN and the NFL. But I could give fuck all about it being on my Xbox. I pay for cable. I watch ESPN. I don't need fantasy draft shit in the corner of my screen for games. I have a phone for that. - I like Stephen Spielberg. But Halo's story is dead to me now. I don't care about a TV show. Forward Unto Dawn was shit anyway. Also, the fuck is with Microsoft people and Game of Thrones? I love the show, it's awesome. But I swear Microsoft just loves to throw the title in there thinking it'll please the neck beards. - Call of Duty: Ghosts looks drab and boring. And for all the "new engine, so beautiful" lines they were spouting? I kept wondering if we were seeing the same screen. The game looks the same. - No 5GBRDDRDDRAUDHS RAM?!? No sale. Inferior console. Trust me, I'm a RAM expert. Microsoft yet again exposes an old wound and showcases perfectly why Apple is having greater success. They lack defined vision. They are so focused on being the thing for everything, that their ideas are eclectic and half conceived. Jack of all trades, master of none. Prove me wrong Microsoft, I'd be damn surprised. Edit: Damn autocorrect on my phone.

Edited by Nightshade, 21 May 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#3 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Now this is what I call a games console reveal, first 30-35 minutes are completely absent of games except for a 2 second Forza clip. Amazing.

Nevermind the fact that almost all of the features shown off in the first half of the show will be unusable outside of the US. Wait, was Forza the only first party game shown? Insane. I really can't see myself buying One at this point, heh.

Edit:

- No 5GBRDDRDDRAUDHS RAM?!? No sale. Inferior console. Trust me, I'm a RAM expert.

People downplay this but memory bandwidth is super important for graphics work. Assuming it's DDR3 (1333mhz), at 30fps the entire system will only be able to access 0.7GB of it per frame, leaving the remainder as cache. GDDR5 can easily allow at least 4GB per frame, with some extra latency which shouldn't really matter with a good amount of cache on the CPU. All things equal, it does make for a massively inferior console.

Edited by UHYVE, 21 May 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#4 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ooof, that was painful. Horrible name, lame features no one asked for, underwhelming games, and an over abundance of BUZZ WORDS! I really hope they have a better showing at E3, or this gen is going to be PS only for this guy.

#5 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Blaze, what do you mean by a Steambox in the context of what you want this new box to do? This press conference was not for us. This was for the casual gamer and family user. What it boils down to for us is that this thing has the power to run much more impressive games, and so does the PS4. Things are very equal for the next gen, the PC/xbox/PS4 are pretty much on the same platform and have equal technology for now. It's going to boil down to the services and exclusives. On the services front I expect xbox live to be much more compelling, they have proven they are much more reliable and a better social experience. I expect it will be even better now with a cloud infrastructure to do some of the computation lifting along with the xbox, not to mention dedicated servers.

#6 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Also, this is bad if true: http://www.computera...e-for-xbox-one/

#7 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Call of Duty still runs off of the CoD4 engine.

Posted Image

I mean seriously. Why can't this run on a 360?

Also, I can't wait to see how much more they plan on charging people for all of these extra features. So far this looks like I probably won't be buying 'one.'

#8 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Blaze, what do you mean by a Steambox in the context of what you want this new box to do?

A Steambox will play anything currently available on Steam. Since these new consoles are essentially gaming PCs, it didn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

#9 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

While a (I assume) one time online activation sounds okay-ish to me, profiles NEED to have an active console where all profiles on the system can play the game (similar to the current system for purchased Xbox Live content), otherwise this DRM is a complete dealbreaker for me and will be a major issue for every family with more than one gamer.

Edited by UHYVE, 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#10 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

#11 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

This press conference was not for us. This was for the casual gamer and family user. What it boils down to for us is that this thing has the power to run much more impressive games, and so does the PS4. Things are very equal for the next gen, the PC/xbox/PS4 are pretty much on the same platform and have equal technology for now. It's going to boil down to the services and exclusives. On the services front I expect xbox live to be much more compelling, they have proven they are much more reliable and a better social experience. I expect it will be even better now with a cloud infrastructure to do some of the computation lifting along with the xbox, not to mention dedicated servers.

Also, I don't agree with this. The XBONE is an "all-in-one entertainment system" that does everything is for everybody. If Microsoft wants that to be their overarching theme, they have to be able to prove that to every audience they're trying to capture, and an announcement is THE time do it. They did not do that.

#12 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ok ok, guys. I think I got it. It does have a purpose now. It's connected to all your entertainment devices right? "Xbox. Turn on PS4."

#13 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

I get it I suppose but it is disappointing. The puzzling thing is that it's only drawing 100W, yet it's huge and half of the top is a massive vent.

Looking at the pictures, where's the power button? I don't wanna have to talk to my Xbox to turn it on, it's makes me feel like a crazy person, maybe if it talked back with a Siri style voice it'd be better but voice recognition on it's own has always seemed super weird to me. Seriously, if you're on your own right now, just confidently say the words "Xbox On" out loud... it's weird! I'm fine with it being a feature but it being required is annoying.

Edit:

Confirmed

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you?d like," Harrison said.

CD keys... guess nobody told MS about QR codes, Kinect is already required remember? Also, it will allow usage by other people on the same console (though I don't know what parental controls have to do with anything, better not be any of that child account BS).

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

Also, just in case you weren't sure yet, MS have gone legitimately insane:

You'll have to pay a fee?and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game?in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

Edit 2:
I hear gamers love software that needs to phone home, good call MS.

Kotaku: If I?m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it?s 24 hours.

Edited by UHYVE, 21 May 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#14 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,989 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

It's true. Read the Kotaku piece. The "fee" is the full price of the game, so basically buying a key off of XBLM.

Sony can win the next console war just by going "Yeah, we're not going to do that. You can still buy used games and trade in your games and give your games to friends to play."

#15 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,686 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Looks like I'm joining the PC Master Race pretty soon, especially considering I can build a good one for less than $300 out of my pocket. I think Microsoft looked at the Google TV and said "Yes, even though this failed miserably I think we can do this."

#16 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Xbox One? Didn't I buy this many years ago? I'm so confused.

#17 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

For anyone who didn't catch the conference. Here's an abridged version.

Okay, the pad is super pretty. Though it's a shame that they've seemingly gotten rid of the player 1/2/3/4 indicator.
Posted Image

Edited by UHYVE, 21 May 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#18 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

This press conference was not for us. This was for the casual gamer and family user. What it boils down to for us is that this thing has the power to run much more impressive games, and so does the PS4. Things are very equal for the next gen, the PC/xbox/PS4 are pretty much on the same platform and have equal technology for now. It's going to boil down to the services and exclusives. On the services front I expect xbox live to be much more compelling, they have proven they are much more reliable and a better social experience. I expect it will be even better now with a cloud infrastructure to do some of the computation lifting along with the xbox, not to mention dedicated servers.

Yeah, cause we all need the "complex calculations" to be performed on an external server.

Right now PS+ is the more compelling service, and the only reason Xbox Live Gold survives is because of the early brand loyalty Microsoft got and Sony's negligence. MS won't have that luxury this generation.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#19 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,686 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

The controller is dead sexy. I can't wait to hook it up to the computer I'm about to make.

#20 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, cause we all need the "complex calculations" to be performed on an external server.

Right now PS+ is the more compelling service, and the only reason Xbox Live Gold survives is because of the early brand loyalty Microsoft got and Sony's negligence. MS won't have that luxury this generation.

Cloud computing has never made sense to me on a scale like this. Sure if you're a physicist booking time on a super computer for complex data calculations, that's cool. But you don't book time in this case, everyone will be requesting calculations done concurrently, apparently calculations that the Xbox One can't handle on it's own, on top of that you have an unknown amount of users and since it's a game application, it probably needs to be low latency (even then, it's gonna be a microsecond vs millisecond). It just doesn't make sense to me, though I should probably wait until E3 to judge, since MS has to have some sort of killer app with the amount of money that they must have put into this.

But yeah, I've been considering PS+ for a while now, got a month free a while back and kinda loved it. I actually cancelled my Gold subscription a few months ago and it's really focused me on how sleezy MS is with Gold, I tried booting the Youtube app and it wouldn't let me, apparently you need to pay for Gold to use all Video apps, the hell? Switch inputs, PS3s Youtube app works perfectly and I didn't have to pay Sony ?40 a year to do it.

Edit: What the hell is going on a Microsoft? I've not heard one piece of legitimately good MS news all day.
No self-publishing on Xbox One
Bad news for indies but don't worry, Sony and even Nintendo has your back.

Also EA's Ignite "Pre-rendered w/ in game assets". So, they actually only showed 3 games (?) at the unveiling of a games console. EA are saying that they are already delivering on that level of quality and we know that we can trust them on that because their Madden trailer for the 360 was so spot on.

Edited by UHYVE, 21 May 2013 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq