The Legendary Ending

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 David White

David White
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

I love the way how you go in to so much detail on this site, uncovering and putting things together to reveal more of the Halo story. I've been looking around the site for a while and I decided to actually sign up to show you all something I found. I did post it on Bungie.net but threads sink fast there and it'll probably never get seen by people who may actually find it interesting.

Most of this has been copied from my thread at Bungie.net.

The Legendary Planet or the Unknown Planet is the planet, presumed to be Forerunner, which is seen glowing in the mystical light after the credits when you complete the last level on Legendary. More information can be found on the link above.

People have gone over the cutscene, found tiny details which you'd miss at first and basically made the whole thing a lot more confusing.
Allow me to either do the same or do the opposite.

There are theories that Chief got teleported somewhere when the portal collapsed, theories that he's travelled through time and finally, the most believable, he didn't teleport. He's drifting in space.
In the cutscene we can see the blue 'smoke' which is said to be the left over bits of the portal, so Chief hasn't gone too far, which means that planet is in roughly the same place as where Ark was.

Now lets return to the stuff we know. In fact, lets take a few steps back, lets go back to the level The Ark.
Towards the end of the level, Spark shows us a map of the Ark, how nice of him. Its very detailed, you've probably all gone back to this level, looked to the centre of the holo-map, seen Installation 04 being built and gone "Ooooh, it was there all the time!"

Was there anything else that caught your eye? Possibly something that wasn't Halo, the Core or the Ark? Something highlighted by pink box? How about a picture.

Here's one!

Want another? Posted ImageUnder Guilty Spark

I'll be honest, I was playing on a mod when I saw this, not the campaign. I'm not going to say which mod its on or where to get it but I'll say that it has this holo-map on it.
I then went in to campaign, watched the cutscene and saw it! (View cutscenes here)

I've thought about this, at first I thought it could be 1 of 3 things.

1) The portal - The portal was big, but not that big.
If a Halo is slightly small than Earth then that sphere would be about the size of a large chunk of Europe.
We saw ships going through the portal on Earth. It wasn't that big. Unless for some reason the portal at the Ark is much larger. I think that's unlikely.

2) Artificial light source - I'm not sure about where the light comes from, I thought it came from a large light bulb, or a dish with a similar shape to the Ark itself (the 'Sun' on Valhalla has odd prongs coming out of it).
But it can't be a 'Sun' because you can see its either buried in the Ark or just below it, which would make it night time over the whole Ark and we know that its not because the level is set during the day.

3) The Legendary Planet - or, if it is then it would be a Planetoid, its smaller than our Moon.
it is suggested there were Forerunner installations which could survive the Halo Array. The Ark was one but only because it was outside of the Arrays range.
Guilty Spark even says he thought the Ark was a 'Shield Installation, it appears I [he] was mistaken'. But only partly mistaken, the Ark was not the Shield installation, the mysterious sphere within the Ark is (possibly).

The Forerunner apparently like to shove things out in the open (the Halo Array) or just bury them (the Ark Portal). No change here then. They buried a shield world, in case something went from on the Ark, a bunker.

Responses from the Bungie.net

GS said that that pink box is a superluminal communication array which Truth was at.

• Spark looks towards the other side of the Ark when he says that
  • The Superluminal Communication Array is towards the centre of the Ark, at the big hole. We go there to kill him

Looking at your ppicture, and judging from the sky on the ark, I would say that sphere in the map room is where the cartographer is.

This is the only suggested alternative I think it possible, I disagree with it.
As I said before, the marked sphere is the size of a large chunk of Europe and when playing through the level The Ark we see that the Cartographer is in the middle of no where, on the edge of a desert; it is the largest structure and its not spherical.
Also, when Spark points out where the Cartographer is he doesn't look at the sphere.

So, still no certainty on what the planetoid is but I think its possible that it was buried in the Ark all along.

#2 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

As I said before, the marked sphere is the size of a large chunk of Europe and when playing through the level The Ark we see that the Cartographer is in the middle of no where, on the edge of a desert; it is the largest structure and its not spherical.
Also, when Spark points out where the Cartographer is he doesn't look at the sphere.

So, still no certainty on what the planetoid is but I think its possible that it was buried in the Ark all along.

Good speculation, but I think the most likely answer is that it is their current location. When you're looking at a mall map, it usually shows a circle or a triangle for your current location, but that doesn't mean you're in a circular or triangular room. It's just that some shape has to be chosen to represent your location. You say that Spark doesn't look at the sphere when he answers the Chief's "where are we exactly?" but he sort of does. The camera is kind of far away, but Spark is looking in the general direction of the sphere; after that, he turns the opposite way to start talking about other stuff.

And then we'd have to assume that the Ark, like, blew up and that sphere was ejected from it, which is kind of odd. It seems a lot more likely to assume that the planetoid is what it looks like - a floating planetoid, somewhere in space; possibly near the Ark. Perhaps there's a slipspace portal located on the Ark that can transport you to it - who knows. But I think that assuming that that sphere is the planetoid, buried in the Ark, is a bit of a leap - especially when you consider the alternative, which is that the sphere is just representative of the location that you're viewing from.

#3 Paavi

Paavi

The Pope

• 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

I think it could actually be possible for the dark planetoid be the Onyx Shield World or something like that. Maybe I have watched too much Stargate, but maybe the energy surge from the Halo and Ark's destruction sent Master Chief's part of the ship to another location (Onyx or another Forerunner Installation) while Arbiter arrived normally to Earth. I think it would make sense to have a portal gateway from Ark to a shield world.

#4 David White

David White
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

I just seems a bit odd to use a sphere to show your location, its not a like a dot on the surface, its a sphere which goes through the Ark. I keep watching that cutscene again and using a sphere to represent their location doesn't seem likely. About 26 seconds in you can see the barrier which has been triggered by Truth (bottom right hand corner), and again at 48 seconds, the barrier on the map is the same as the actual barrier. I don't think it would be detailed for one thing and then be vague for the location of another thing. Also, the sphere is there before Master Chief asks where they are, meaning its meant to be there, not just something Spark told the map to do.

#5 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

Is the sphere in the Ark or an orbiting object?

#6 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

Incredibly ironic that we have this thread after I've content completed my article which talks specifically about this subject. Hopefully it'll be up tomorrow and I can talk more openly about where I stand on the matter. :)

#7 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

Haha, cloak and dagger writing.

#8 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

I think the same as Coco. It seems odd that the sphere would be there, but not anywhere else on the Ark. If there was one of that size, there should be more.

#9 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

DPR.

#10 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

FTW.

#11 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

Is that the one Gearbox is developing?

#12 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

Haha, cloak and dagger writing.

Or weak writing.

...one of them.

#13 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Or weak writing.

...one of them.

Great article. At this point though, I can't help but ask, do you plan on reneging on that, "I won't be buying a Halo 4," thing?

Edited by Kinetic, 01 June 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#14 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

DPR.

I saw the trailer for that bad boy and let me tell you, going to knock yours and your mothers socks off.

#15 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

Great article. At this point though, I can't help but ask, do you plan on reneging on that, "I won't be buying a Halo 4," thing?

It depends. Am I keen on seeing the Master Chief and Cortana go on yet another adventure? Not really. I don't think I'm as adamant as I was in the past about it, but I'd like to see new things/individuals within the Halo universe. I personally thought Halo 3 would have been more convincing if the Chief would have died. I've expressed that before.

That being said, if the game was compelling enough, I would absolutely renege on my previous statement. That's something we'll have to wait and find out, I suppose.

#16 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

Voc will reneg on it; I'll personally see to that.

#17 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

Or weak writing.

...one of them.

OMG awesome.

There were a few grammar errors, but that was an awesome read, Voc. Nothing that comes out of you is weak writing. I have to reread Ghosts of Onyx now because of you. I thought I remembered it all, but apparently I dont.

I have to say, though, A game without Marines, Covenant, or the Flood would be very boring without the introduction of a new species. The Forerunner, perhaps? Because fighting the Sentinals for 9 levels doesnt seem too satisfying. But if the Chief arrives at Onyx and finds the Spartans and Hasley trapped there, that would be fucking sweet.

Cant wait to see what Bungie throws at us. Oh, and speaking of that. Bungie better make the next main Halo game. I dont want no junky M$ team to make it.

#18 Paavi

Paavi

The Pope

• 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:34 AM

Cant wait to see what Bungie throws at us. Oh, and speaking of that. Bungie better make the next main Halo game. I dont want no junky M$ team to make it.

Mmm.... Maybe Rare? ;)

#19 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

So long as Nintendo doesn't make "Master Cheif and Friends all Star Island Adventure" i'll be happy, also i gotta say thgat im really hoping the legendary ending pretains to the ending in ghosts of onyx and the chief will come face to face with Halsey and the Spartan IIIs and the last II

#20 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:38 AM

I love the Chief and all. But he really needs to move over and let some other characters take the spotlight. Hopefully the next game will put a true end to the Chief, making him a mythical character.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq