Photo

Spoiler Tags

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

This issue has come up on several occasions. The issue is that I've personally been a spoiler tag Nazi when we really don't have any clear rules, policies, or norms. Also, this discussion didn't need to be in the "What I don't like about Reach" thread. If your opinion was voiced there, feel free to repost it here. I'd really like to see a lot of feedback on this. Personally, I think spoiler tags should apply to any game in this generation or last generation, and anything older is spoiler free. To properly define these generations (while simultaneously not trying to insult anyone's intelligence), this gen consists of games released on the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii while last gen consists the Xbox, PS2, and Wii. In addition, you can judge PC games based on when it was released with respect to those consoles. My justification is that I actually go back quite often play games from last gen and have no desire to be spoiled. While I don't want to be spoiled any game I play, I rarely go back further than that. In addition, some games have plots or elements that are simply common knowledge at this point. For example, who doesn't know where the Warp Whistles are in SMB 3? Naturally, as a Halo forum, the Halo rules are different, and we've got established guidelines for spoiler tags for those at this point. To reiterate, any spoiler from a cracked version of the game must be in tags, as well as any spoiler from the first few days after release. After that, they come off.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#2 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

I would say 6 weeksish after release and then spoiler tags aren't necessary any longer.

#3 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

If there are games on the Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, or GBA that you haven't played yet, you aren't going to play them. At least, those are my thoughts. I think spoiler tags for games THIS GEN (including PSP and DS - hey, you never know) are more than generous.

#4 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Don't presume someone will or will not play a last gen game. Here's a list of last gen games (or ports to current gen) I've played within the last year or so. Resident Evil Remake Resident Evil 4 Silent Hill 2 Eternal Darkness Conker, Live and Reloaded In addition, I have two more on my "to do list" literally sitting on my desk. Resident Evil Zero Fallout Trilogy (which is actually even older than last gen) Edit: If I remove the constraints, that list gets a lot bigger.

#5 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

You might be the exception to the rule, though. I don't know many people who actually play the old games. People like to say that they will, they just never actually do it. Eh, like I said, just my opinion.

#6 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

The community of people who play old games is quite large. It's one of the main reasons stuff keeps getting added to Steam. Of course, a lot of people buy off Steam saying they will play something and then never do just cause it was on sale. The point being, I don't want to be spoiled, but I understand there comes a point where some information is just common knowledge. At the same time though, we don't have a large enough user base atm to really to worry about spoilers for older stuff that much. Unless somebody else speaks up, it looks like I'm the minority. I'd be fine with a "this gen" limitation unless our user base grows, and then we'd need to revisit the issue.

#7 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

The community of people who play old games is quite large. It's one of the main reasons stuff keeps getting added to Steam. Of course, a lot of people buy off Steam saying they will play something and then never do just cause it was on sale.

The point being, I don't want to be spoiled, but I understand there comes a point where some information is just common knowledge. At the same time though, we don't have a large enough user base atm to really to worry about spoilers for older stuff that much. Unless somebody else speaks up, it looks like I'm the minority. I'd be fine with a "this gen" limitation unless our user base grows, and then we'd need to revisit the issue.

Sounds good to me.

Also, your description of the Steam user hits awfully close to home. Dozens of games that I've yet to play and probably never will. Dem sales, man.

#8 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

You might be the exception to the rule, though.

He is. Niterider is a freak of nature.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#9 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

Am I the only one who went looking for RE0 and Fallout 2 spoilers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq